FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filters, Graphics and Movie Clips...

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Westerfield
Filters, Graphics and Movie Clips...
on Feb 15, 2010 at 7:46:01 pm

OK, I should probably know this one already, but why can I not add a filter effect (ie, blur) to a graphic instance? Also, I know filters work on movie clips, but my movie clip needs to be interpreted as a graphic in order for me to see it on stage. Thats because its a nested animation and it begins with nothing on stage with all of the elements appearing accordingly. It simply wont show up if I use an instance of it as a movie clip.

What am I missing here?

Tony W

Return to posts index

Sean Kendall
Re: Filters, Graphics and Movie Clips...
on Feb 15, 2010 at 8:12:15 pm

There shouldn't be a reason it doesn't show up as a movieclip. Check to make sure its alpha channel isn't down to 0. Unfortunately you can't add filter effects to graphics, just movieclips and text.

How are you having your items show up on the stage? Are you tweening them from off-stage, using the "visible" command, adjusting the alpha, or just not introducing them until further in your movieclip?

Return to posts index

Tony Westerfield
on Feb 15, 2010 at 8:46:09 pm

The movie clip (with the nested animation) has elements that appear as far as frame 140 within the movie clip itself. Basically, whenever you add an instance of a movie clip to the stage, it always starts from that movie clips frame 1. But I need it to start from frame 140 elsewhere on my stage. Do I need to use actionscript?

BTW, what a pain. You cant see the progression of a movie clip in the authoring environment like you can with the MC set to graphic. Its not easy working with nested MC's.

Tony W

Return to posts index

Tony Westerfield
on Feb 15, 2010 at 9:10:04 pm

OK. I used actionscript to call up a frame in the nested movie clip name IT_dept.

IT_dept.gotoAndPlay(IT_dept.currentFrame + 450);

Now if I could only get the nested movie clip to show up in the authoring environment!

Tony W

Return to posts index

Sean Kendall
on Feb 15, 2010 at 9:32:11 pm

The easiest thing I've found to do when I want a movieclip to jump to a specific frame is to label that frame and then use gotoAndStop("label"). If you do this, you don't have to worry about problems coming up if you change the number of frames inside the movieclip.

So in your example, you would label frame #451 it_dept or something like that and then you would use the code:

IT_dept.gotoAndPlay("it_dept");

You can preview a movieclip while you're working by selecting it in the library and clicking the play button in the preview area above the library contents.

Return to posts index

Tony Westerfield
on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:09:33 pm

Ah, the label name is much better. Thanks. Yes, the MC will play in the library preview, but having it appear on stage would allow far better work flow.

Thanks.

Tony W

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]