FORUMS: list search recent posts

embedding fonts/characters

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
natalie rishe
embedding fonts/characters
on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:05:10 am

Hiya,

I am having a hard time getting fonts to embed in a .swf (Flash CS4)...even with static text and a .swf the "unique" fonts are not showing up in the .swf files - they are being substituted for system fonts. I would prefer a way to do this without AS if that is possible.

I have been searching for an answer to this EVERYWHERE and nothing seems to fit what I'm looking for; I assume this is a pretty standard issue and just can't believe how difficult this has been for me - it's embarrassing!

Thanks so much for your help!
Natalie

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
Re: embedding fonts/characters
on Feb 10, 2010 at 7:01:49 pm

are you positive the actual text boxes are set to dynamic via the properties panel? a fail-safe is to select the text and choose command/ctrl b to break it apart and make a graphic. Best to do that with headers and such but there it is.

Otherwise, be sure when you click on the button to embed fonts that you're choosing the right set that includes the characters you're using. Normally, 'Basic Latin" will work as it includes upper/lower, numbers and general punctuation.

Return to posts index

natalie rishe
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:58:14 am

Thanks for the speedy reply. I am using "Static" text, not input or dynamic and what I'm wondering about is how to make sure that the fonts being used (if they are rare/unique/boutique) will display properly when the projects are converted to a .swf and viewed on a machine that doesn't have that font installed.

Are you saying that the best way to do it is to break down the text area until the letters become shapes and leave it at that? I'm sure that would work, except that if I return to the .fla, the text is no longer editable with the Text tool.

I was hoping there was a way to simply "embed" the characters or font families that are used in the project so that they would display properly and still be editable in the .fla. Is that possible?

If I am using Input or Dynamic text is there an "embed" button? In the Properties Panel? I haven't actually used either because I don't do much with AS, so I have been avoiding interaction at that degree :)

Thanks for any more help you can give me!
-N

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
on Feb 14, 2010 at 4:01:31 pm

You need to make the boxes dynamic in order to embed fonts. That's when the embed button will show up under the character properties.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]