FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D in Flash

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Westerfield
3D in Flash
on Feb 9, 2010 at 2:26:59 pm

I want to create and manipulate 3D primitives in Flash. Recommendations range from Papervision3d to Swift3d to Freespin3d. Opinions? Does Flash currently have any basic 3D capabilities, or do I need a 3rd party for even the most basic geometry?

Tony W

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
Re: 3D in Flash
on Feb 9, 2010 at 2:50:21 pm

Flash CS4 supports 'postcards in space' if that means anything to you. Flat objects that you can build for instance a cube from; or even more advanced objects. Photo and video carousels are one application of this, so it can look pretty cool. One problem is Z-sorting. When I for instance create a 'dice' cube from a movieclip, I set which instance is the backmost one the usual way. This construction process is pretty easy and fun - like Lego! When I start to "throw the dice" i.e. turn the cube around, Flash messes up which side is at the back, and I get some quite Escher-like shapes which looks ... interesting, but usually wasn't intended. You can download free ActionScript libraries to fix this - or indeed use slightly more advanced systems like Papervision.
If you know Shockwave 3D made in Director nearly ten years ago, this is still far from it. Edges are smoother in Flash (of course!), but for sure can't use your favourite 3D app and simply export your self made avatar and start moving its limbs around like you can with 3D Lingo...

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved