FORUMS: list search recent posts

Photoshop text looks awful in Flash

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Navratil
Photoshop text looks awful in Flash
on Feb 1, 2010 at 6:49:34 pm

I am creating 340x222 photos in Photoshop and saving them as JPEGS. I give them to a webmaster to post on a website in a flash window. The photos look fine. If I add text over a photo in Photoshop and give that JPEG file to the webmaster to place in the Flash window the text looks awful while the photo looks fine. How can I correct the text problem?

Thank you,

Steve

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: Photoshop text looks awful in Flash
on Feb 1, 2010 at 10:20:22 pm

If you supply a flattened jpeg it's surprising that the text looks bad and the photo OK. You could ask your webmaster to increase the quality of the Flash jpeg compressions s/he is using.

Return to posts index

aaron jacob willman
on Feb 2, 2010 at 1:46:19 am

it could be that it's not vector in photoshop. try using adobe illustrator or just the text tool in flash.

Return to posts index

Steven Navratil
on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:54:26 pm

Thank you for the information. I think I need to explain more. I create the file at the Flash window's preset size. I am adding the text in Photoshop and then saving the image as a JPEG file (no layers). The image is then dropped into a program that automatically loads it up into a Flash window for the website.

Here is a link to the site:

http://www.gprep.com/s/766/start.aspx

As I relook at the "Spirit Week" image the whole image is stairstepping. Any ideas on how to solve the problem would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Steve

Return to posts index

Brodd Nesset
on Feb 4, 2010 at 9:10:04 am

Hi! It looks as the little Flash application is set to scale the pictures. This doesn't look nice at all.
A. The Flash application should not need to scale the pictures in the first place. This is a waste of computer resources for one thing. Have you got the correct data for your media? I.e. if the target is 320x240 but you are told to deliver 340x250, the result could look like this.
B. If the Flash application somehow *needs* to scale the pictures, it can still look a lot better than this. When the pictures are imported you need to select each and set it to 'Smoothing = ON' in the Properties panel. This is not the default.
C. The SWF could be placed wrongly in the webpage; an HTML coding mismatch. Say the SWF Stage is actually 440 x 320, but it is scaled down in the HTML coding to 400 x 300. This is possible to do, and native Flash elements will mostly look fine, since they are vectors. Bitmaps will however look poor, like here. Doing the 'B' procedure will help, but the real solution is to get away with any mismatch. If the webdesigner really wants a smaller or bigger SWF, make a new one and give it to him or her; don't let non-flashers scale it (and ruin it).

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

Return to posts index

Steven Navratil
on Feb 5, 2010 at 4:48:18 am

Thank you Brodd for taking the time to respond. Your information is much appreciated. I don't have much experience with Flash. I thought I was giving them the correct size of image so there would be any scaling. I'll double check that. Thank you again.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]