FORUMS: list search recent posts

Actionscript 2.0 Flash CS4

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shi Qi Low
Actionscript 2.0 Flash CS4
on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:50:10 pm

Hi everyone,
please help me for my project.Please ask me any questions.
Here is my file

Firstly, player will have to select whether he or she would like to play at which place(red dot). Currently only the First left dot is working, the other are not working yet.
Secondly, player will have to use the youth olympic mascot (lyo) to collect the medal, each medal the player collected will have to answer a question.
Thirdly, after the player answer all the question they will have to go to the door at the right.
There are a total of 3 level.

My problem is at level 3 I cannot pass through the door. At level 3 after I collected all the medal I am supposed to go back to the Map scene. But seem like cannot go at all.

Please help.

Return to posts index

Marcus Geduld
Re: Actionscript 2.0 Flash CS4
on Jan 5, 2010 at 5:31:05 pm

Maybe someone else here will give you better help than I will. But the best I'm willing to do is say this:

Don't put code on buttons. The ONLY place code should EVER go is in the Timeline (consolidated into as few frames as possible, preferably one) and in external .as files.

Why? Because you now have a bug in your DECENTRALIZED code. (Decentralized code is code that is all over the place, partly in the Timeline, partly on buttons and movieclips, partly inside internal, movieclip Timelines...) Decentralized code is practically impossible to debug.

Decentralized code is really a bunch of small programs all interacting with each other in confusing ways. To understand what's going wrong on Button X's code, I have to understand how it relates to Button Y's code and Button Z's code and so on. I have to search through the whole FLA to find everything. Code could be ANYWHERE? It's like a huge tangle of wires. (Programmers call it spaghetti code!)

When I first started doing freelance programming, I was often hired to add new features to someone else's code or debug someone else's code. I eventually learned that if they coded in a decentralized way, it was quicker for me to rewrite their entire program from scratch than to try to untangle their mess.

Decentralized code has caused me (and other people) so many headaches that I now refuse to work on it.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh. I don't want to hurt your feelings. But I want to be honest with you about how professional development is done and the reasons why it's done that way.

I know it's a lot of work, but if you rewrite your code so that it's centralized (all on frames of the MAIN Timeline), I will help you with bugs. If you don't know how to do that, check out the Foundation Actionscript books from or some AS 2.0 (or, better, 3.0) tutorials on

Author "After Effects Expressions"
Co-author "After Effects For Flash, Flash For After Effects"
Artistic Director, Folding Chair Classical Theatre, Inc
Senior Flash Developer,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved