FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project size too large

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yaron Bar
Project size too large
on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:47:40 am

I am working on a cut-out animation, using symbols that contain PNG images.

The image files in my scene all together are 122 MB.
After creating the symbol library and placing the symbols on a short timeline, the flash project amounts to 180MB and crashes in every subsequent change I make.

Is there a way to add images to a project, keeping them as a reference without actually storing them on file?

Or a different approach maybe, to reduce project size and memory crashes that result from it?

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Marcus Geduld
Re: Project size too large
on Jan 4, 2010 at 2:38:57 pm

You can reference images via Actionscript, but would that really help? Whether the images are internal or external, they have to load, so same amount of bytes either way.

Author "After Effects Expressions"
Co-author "After Effects For Flash, Flash For After Effects"
Artistic Director, Folding Chair Classical Theatre, Inc
Senior Flash Developer,

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Jan 4, 2010 at 3:08:16 pm

i have run into that limitation also- getting the dreaded " possibly out of memory" message. but trust me - adding more memory usually will not solve that.

one possible workaround, and solution, if your project can accomodate it, is to not have those images in your library, but in an external folder, and instead of using library items, to use loaders with URL Requests which will then load your external asset( your images).

loaders are made to handle these external file formats: jpg/jpeg, png, gif, and SWF .

a typical construct is:

var myLaoder:Loader = new Loader();
myLoader.load(new URLRequest("myImage.png"));

it is usually good practice to also add add listeners to the loader's contentLoaderInfo to check for COMPLETE status( and thus errors, etc)

Return to posts index

Yaron Bar
on Jan 5, 2010 at 6:32:09 am

I am not sure if that would help, since I am working on an animation, and need to see the symbols as I work along.. every character is made of about 10 symbols, and I need to see them and manipulate them along the timeline..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved