FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thin black edging

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Smith
Thin black edging
on Dec 10, 2009 at 1:49:52 pm

In the past when I would create an flv and import it into Flash CS3, the player would automatically conform to exactly the size of my flv, and I could create a quick player.

I'm now using CS4, and when I do the same run through, I am getting a 1 pixel wide black edge on the left, and one on the right. I have been searching high and low and can't figure out why I'm getting black edges - that aren't in my video.

My video was created in After Effects as a SD Widescreen animation. I exported the video at a re-sized ratio of 416x228. - I get one pixel of black on left, and one on the right in my final Flash Player video.

I tried changing my After Effects project to Square pixels, and exported the video to a re-sized ratio of 410x228. - I end with one pixel on left and right black again.

Not sure where I'm going wrong. I have also been told that FLV's work best in multiples of 16 (which my first example is).

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Marcus Geduld
Re: Thin black edging
on Dec 10, 2009 at 3:00:38 pm

Is the background color of your Flash stage black? I'm trying to figure out where the black is coming from. If it's just a bit of the stage showing, you could change the width of the file by 2 pixels.

Author "After Effects Expressions"
Co-author "After Effects For Flash, Flash For After Effects"
Artistic Director, Folding Chair Classical Theatre, Inc
Senior Flash Developer, Zeitbyte.com

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Dec 10, 2009 at 3:30:34 pm

My document size is set to 550x400, and is a white background. So I don't think it's the stage.

HOWEVER, I think we're on to something with that idea.

I changed my video player size to display at 432x106. The players "scale" selection is set to "maintain aspect ratio". - Resulting in the video being much smaller, but the black line on the left side is gone. I still have a black line on the right of the video.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Ian Smith
on Dec 15, 2009 at 1:50:39 pm

Ok, I found a solution... so I will post it.

I am new to After Effects, and it seems my problem may have existed because of that.

I'm assuming, though I still haven't found it fact that the project in After Effects exports black edges with my video animation, even though the animation doesn't involve any NTSC miniDV footage. The entire animation is created in After Effects.

SOLUTION:
If I export the video and crop the left and right 8 pixels each, and scale my exporting flv to 410x230, I have a perfect flv without the black edges when played within a Flash Player.

I still don't necessarily understand why there existed black edges that needed cropped within an After Effects project that didn't involve any NTSC miniDV footage (showing black edges on video). Apple Motion which I am fluent with never did anything like that. But, I will mention it within my forum in the After Effects section.

I am still open to any discussion if anyone has any pointers at any point of my process. Thanks for reading, and your comments!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]