FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Flash Read/Display Sound Frequency?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Tropiano
Can Flash Read/Display Sound Frequency?
on Dec 4, 2009 at 3:20:52 pm

Hi - new member. Thanks in advance for your advice. I am familiar with Flash/ActionScript and - in fact, taught basic courses in it but haven't fooled with it since the "MX" version - a while. Is it possible for Flash to read/display input frequency of an instrument - say, a guitar and store that data as a variable? Here's what I'm getting at. I'm learning to play guitar and read music. I have the capability to plug the guitar (electric) into a USB jack and using other SW play through PC speakers. The SW has a "tuning" feature that displays the note you play to tune up. I'm learning to play using DVDs, books, SW. There's a lot of great training SW out there, but found nothing that interacts with a guitar that's plugged in to the PC.

So, what I was toying with, if possible, was an interactive flash-card program done in Flash. A line of music appears with a random single note... you find the note on the guitar, play it, Flash reads the note. If the note is correct, in adds 1 to your "score". If else... displays "try again".

This would seem like a simple/effective way to learn to read music. There are tons of (non-interactive) music "Flash Card" programs, there are tons of "tuner" programs. But nothing I've found that marries the two. It would seem like a fun, effective, "game-like" way to to learn to read music. And, something quite simple to code if Flash has the capabilities to read the input frequency like the zillion "tuner" programs out there.

Sorry for the long post, suggestions/advice appreciated.

Return to posts index

Marcus Geduld
Re: Can Flash Read/Display Sound Frequency?
on Dec 4, 2009 at 5:02:13 pm

Author "After Effects Expressions"
Co-author "After Effects For Flash, Flash For After Effects"
Artistic Director, Folding Chair Classical Theatre, Inc
Senior Flash Developer,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved