FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mysterious publishing problem

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vin Macenroe
Mysterious publishing problem
on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:43:50 pm

I'm making a large flash project using AS3 where the user takes a test of 170 questions. It chooses a random 10 sections out of 50, for which each section has 17 questions. I have a file that previously worked for just 15 sections that weren't random and started from there. The new file has 50 sections in one MovieClip and it hops to the frame of the randomly selected sections. Each section is a MovieClip of 17 frames of questions. After I added the 50 sections in the movie stopped working entirely. It is as if none of the code even exists. Simple buttons no longer work, stop(); commands are ignored, nothing works. All the movie clips just cycle through their content repeatedly. I don't get any error messages when it's compiled, so I don't know where to start. To further confuse me, it works on someone else's computer who uses CS4 even though it wasn't created using CS4. Everyone else has CS3 and it doesn't work for them either. Removing about half of the sections fixes the problem, but we need all 50. It may in fact need to expand to 65. We've scoured the code for hours and can't find anything wrong. Yes, there are stops on all the frames.

Is there some known issue that CS4 can handle that CS3 does not? Does Flash have a limit to how much it can handle in CS3? Any other insights please? Thanks!


Return to posts index

sam scherer
Re: Mysterious publishing problem
on Nov 26, 2009 at 1:37:37 am

Typically these sort of problems are due to a syntax or error or some bad logic. I often find in timeline based projects that a project will work in flash preview but not in the flash player itself or vise versa. Make sure you don't have any preloaders that are causing it to jump or loop a set of frames. I work on projects like this all day long and it can be a challenge to find these kinds of problems.


Return to posts index

Vin Macenroe
Re: Mysterious publishing problem
on Dec 1, 2009 at 1:15:46 pm

We have found out what is going wrong finally. After taking out some sections, but not enough to get it to compile properly, it outputted an error message.

"**Error** , Line 1: 5005: Unknown error optimizing byte code."

Apparently there was too much code for it to process. I guess there was too much to even output the error message before. I'm going to have to rethink how this is set up to cut down on the code.


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]