FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV embedded in Flash website won't load up online

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Townsend - Seddon
FLV embedded in Flash website won't load up online
on Nov 3, 2009 at 1:00:42 am

I have a 1.3MB file in my flash website that works fine on my computer but when I load it to Godaddy server the video isn't there. I've checked 'access network only' in publish settings and made sure that the flv file is in the same file as the swf on the server but I can't get it to work.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: FLV embedded in Flash website won't load up online
on Nov 3, 2009 at 3:40:34 am

assuming you have this all inside an html page, then check to make sure you have the FLV uploaded, along with the necessary javascript file ( often which is the AC_RunActiveContent.js ), as well as any skin if you are using one.

Return to posts index

Rory Townsend - Seddon
on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:27:34 am

Hi Demetri,
The flv is embedded into a flash website, it's not a html site.

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:25:09 am

Demetri's advice to you was what you need to follow.

All websites are structured using html pages, more or less by definition

You might consider wrapping your swf file - the Flash element - in an html page. Then your Flash file can load a video player and play the video, so long as the video is in a Flash supported format - flv, h.264, some variants of mpeg 4. If your files are not contained, linked or referenced from an html page, then what you have is not really a website, but rather files held on a web server. Browsers will make their best efforts to open many kinds of files directly - but those efforts will often not succeed.

With a swf, many browsers will succeed in opening the file - but will scale it to fit the browser, however big or small and whatever its aspect ratio. Not necessarily what you want. Even if you insist on this approach, you probably still have to make sure that your Flash video skin and player are uploaded to your host, as indicated, and that you have found some way to make sure that the Flash player knows what flv file to load (what the javascript file might do for you if you use a free flv player like Flowplayer or the JWPlayer).

The whole point of the web was to make data of many kinds more readily accessible on most kinds of computer, and the chosen approach was to set up a number of simple, clear and public file formats. Html, and its xhtml derivative, are currently the key formats. If you can make your websites comply with web standards, they are more likely to be viewable on a wide range of computers, roughly as you intended, than if you do not comply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Website
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_standards

Return to posts index

Matt Radbourne
on Nov 12, 2009 at 7:38:59 pm

Check that the path to the FLV is relative. I found that clicking ok after choosing the path can make it relative whereas hitting enter/return always seems to give me an absolute path. Many sleepless nights over that one!

Matt Radbourne
Media Designer
CEM, UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]