FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Player for Multiple Sizes?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Hanson
Video Player for Multiple Sizes?
on Oct 18, 2009 at 1:56:51 am

I followed the cow tutorials on creating an XML video player (AS2). The player uses a list box to hold video titles/descriptions.

How can I tell the video player to re-size itself based on the source .flv file?

My goal is to have an XML-driven video player that can show 16x9 and 4x3 videos. If somebody out there can point me toward a tutorial that deals with this sort of thing I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Nate Hanson
Pilothouse Films

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: Video Player for Multiple Sizes?
on Oct 18, 2009 at 9:33:09 am

You could try to pick up the metadata from the flv files and use it to set players sizes. Some encoders though reportedly do not properly set this, though.

If it's xml driven and your own files, you could set an xml element to indicate 16:9 or 4:3, then use that field to set the player screen dimensions (and perhaps position).

Return to posts index

Nate Hanson
on Oct 19, 2009 at 3:08:27 pm

Of course...the XML file. That will work fine. I should have thought of controlling it that way myself!

Now, how do I tell the swf to resize the player based on the XML entry for a particular video? The whole thing is AS2. I suppose I should find some time to learn AS3.

Has anybody seen a tutorial out there on resizing video players?

Nate Hanson
Pilothouse Films

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Oct 19, 2009 at 5:03:54 pm

Something like this might do it for you
if (yourwidescreenflag=="yes") {
_root.conBar.yourscreen._width = 512;
_root.conBar.yourscreen._height = 288;
} else {
_root.conBar.yourscreen._width = 384;
_root.conBar.yourscreen._height = 288;
}

of course the variable names will all be your own, as will the actual dimensions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]