FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video looks washed out

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Buer
Video looks washed out
on Sep 22, 2009 at 1:38:42 pm

Hi there.

I'm encoding a video I have created with FCP/Motion into a Flash video and the results are continually coming back washed out, like the luminance has been pushed up way to high. My video is PAL exported from Motion using the Animation Codec.

The settings I'm using to encode the video in Flash are:

Video Codec: On2 VP6
Quality: Custom (1500 kilobits p/s)
Frame rate: 25
Key Frame interval: 100 ---(?)

I'm using the embed SWF into timeline route

Any help would be great, I just want the video to look like the original export!

Thanks for your time

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: Video looks washed out
on Sep 25, 2009 at 9:36:31 am

This may be a colour profile issue. FCP (I don't know about Motion) normally attaches a colour profile to output files encoded to Quicktime formats. That would probably be whatever colour profile you have set up for your monitor. Flash (and most of the web, apart from Safari) is not colour profile aware at present, and there's a view that the web default profile is sRGB. You could try switching to an sRGB profile in your Motion ouput, if you can.

Another thing to consider with this washed out colour look is monitor gamma. Prior to OSX v10.6, I think, Mac has used a monitor gamma of 1.8 against a TV / Windows / Web typical default of 2.2. Again, a QT playback app may react to local monitor gamma and adjust (darken, in your case?) the playback to match, but Flash player I believe is not gamma-aware and will not ....

Hope one of these helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved