FORUMS: list search recent posts

Program Structure help

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tim litostansky
Program Structure help
on Aug 18, 2009 at 3:26:08 pm

Hello everyone.

I have some limited knowledge of Flash but have been studying up on actionscript (3.0), symbols, animation etc. I feel I have a decent feel, albeit young, understanding of the concepts. Now I am trying to figure out the best way to apply them to a program I am working on, and was hoping to get some suggestions.

I will explain the idea of the program. I have attached an image of a simplified version of the structure in an effort to more easily explain. This is to be a desktop app not for the web. The main menu will have several buttons (button 1, button 2) that will lead to other sections. There will be animated transitions between these with things sliding in and other things going away. Once in a section (section A for example), there will be several buttons (A button 1, A button 2) that will bring up graphics (graphic A1, graphic A2). These graphics will animate in. While the graphics are being displayed, the user will have the ability to hit another graphic button, that will bring in said graphic and remove the previous one (graphic A1 to A2, or A2 to A1). At any point the user could also use the main menu button to return to the main menu and then access another section (section B) where similar functions would be in place.

Let me now say that I apologize if I have over or under complicated this explanation. I can elaborate or simplify as needed.

Now on to my issue. At this point I had thought of using actionscript to code the buttons in a way that would send the user to different points on one timeline. This timeline would hold all the graphics and animations etc. I can code this fairly easily but starting running into problems. Basically there would need to be a section of the timeline for every possible transition. There would also be limited flexibility in that if I wanted to change timing universally on the animations, they would all need to be individually changed, and all the action script would need to be adjusted. I suppose I could use labels and such to cut this down a bit, but I know there must be better ways to do this. I have looked into Functions, Variables, Arrays, etc, and understand them on a basic level. It is the application of these things that I am not so sure about.

So thats it. I am looking for some advice on structure. Please give any advice you can and let me know if further explanation is needed.

Thanks in advance!

Ps. guess i cant attach.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]