FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice: Learn Flash AS3?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Young
Advice: Learn Flash AS3?
on May 28, 2009 at 11:46:13 pm

I am a Video Editor, but in this economy, being versatile pays, and I am fortunate enough to have work if I learn new skills.

I took Flash years ago, but have not used it. Now, Flash developers are surviving the recession. If I can learn BASIC ActionScript 3, I can be put to work.

I am a member of Lynda and TotalTraining, and I've for comprehensive lesson on TT for AS3.

Do you feel that learning AS3 in a matter of 2-3 weeks for a non-programmer with no programming skills is a reasonable expectation? I know you cannot assess my personal learning skills, but any opinion based on your experience or of those you know would be appreciated.

I also have the option to work on other non-programming tasks, but that work is up in the air, whereas this is a sure bet if I can do it.

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: Advice: Learn Flash AS3?
on May 29, 2009 at 4:42:27 am

If you haven't worked with actionscript before (AS2 at least), you have an advantage, since you won't have to unlearn a lot of the things that have changed in switching from AS2 to AS3.

I've always been a programmer, so it's hard to assess the time a non-programmer would need. However, I managed to get a pretty full grasp on the subject over the course of a month.

If you just want to learn the basics, I guess 2-3 weeks may be enough. I quickly got a little bored with the Lynda tutorial on AS3 and object oriented programming, but for someone learning from scratch, they are no doubt extremely valuable.

Kind regards,

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved