FORUMS: list search recent posts

[AS2] Nested clips with player controls

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Jordan
[AS2] Nested clips with player controls
on May 14, 2009 at 2:03:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I am creating a presentation and am very quickly starting to bump into Flash's 16,000 frame export limit. I know normally to remedy this I would simply create nested clips on the main timeline and there would be no problems. However, my presentation has navigation that will allow the user to jump sections, as well as player controls (pause, play & forward). On top of this, the presentation has a music track that will play in the background and also voice-over clips throughout the presentation.

In the past, the only way I could get Flash to stop all animations, music and voice-over was to build everything on the main timeline. Since I'm running out of space, that doesn't seem to be an option.

My question is, how can I make my player controls pause and start everything that's happening on the main timeline as well as the nested clips.

A secondary question is, does CS4 still have the 16,000 frame limit? I am currently still on CS3.

Thank you for any help.

Return to posts index

Roger Jordan
Re: [AS2] Nested clips with player controls
on May 18, 2009 at 2:00:02 pm

Hello again,

If there is any other information I can provide that would help with getting a response I will be more than happy to do so.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on May 18, 2009 at 4:30:21 pm

hi roger-
while i can't answer the 16,000 frame limit of CS4, since you are using CS3, don't you want to be using AS3 instead of AS2? i could give you more advice in AS3, but not so much in AS2.

i would have to imagine that you can be stremlining your file considerably if you use nested clips, externally loaded SWFs and other files. do you really need all those frames ??? how do you manage that ?? : - )

especially things like the music playing in the background, and the voice overs, i hope they are not embedded in the timeline, but would hope that you are taking advantage of things like FLVPlayback components and Methods to have all that functionality, with very little frames and file size.

it is hard to give more feedback based on just your dsdescription. please ask more specific questions, and i am sure myself and others willbe glad to help out.

Return to posts index

Roger Jordan
on May 18, 2009 at 6:56:49 pm

Hi Demetri,

Thanks for taking time to respond.

I'm definitely willing to use AS3 over AS2 for this project. The only reason I was sticking to AS2 is because I have used the same custom made player controls in an older project that in AS2. If I can find how to convert all my AS2 to working AS3, I will switch. Especially if it means I can get more help with my current problem.

As for how I manage all those frames...it's a mess!! I wont even get into how many layers I currently have. :( I wanted to make nested clips with all the individual sections of the presentation. However, when I tried that, I would hit the pause button on my player and everything on the main timeline would pause, but all the nested clips would keep playing.

Which brings me to my next embarrassment. Yes, the voice over audio files and music are indeed on the main timeline as well. With everything on the main timeline I hit pause and EVERYTHING stops as it is suppose to.

I desperately want to get this cleaned up and start nesting everything, I just need to know how to get everything on the main timeline AND all the nested clips to pause and resume on command.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on May 18, 2009 at 8:11:45 pm

first off, don't ever be embarrased. for one thing, there are so many different ways to achieve a result.
sometimes there are better, or 'more-better' ways to do certain things, at least from either a file size efficiency, or time spent doing something efficiency, or a logistic nightmanre perspective ( which i am feeling applies to your project right now... . also important is to make sure our coding is correct and efficient .

also, this is how we all learn. you start off placing soundclips on the timeline, and heck... it works. BUT, it can be real slow to load, right ? so then we figure out how to externally load that sound file and voila, our file size shrinks to almost nothing. things like that - that is the way we should approach your project. you can use this as a good opportunity to learn and understand more about AS3 code. i know i am learning all the time ....

why not give me/us an overview of the project. start with what you see on the stage, and then what the other sections are that you can navigate to. are you usiing Scenes? Frame Labels ?

is the background music timed to any specific event? likewise the voice over. when and how do they come in and what are they referring to?

questions like these can get us started at least

Return to posts index

Roger Jordan
on May 18, 2009 at 8:51:29 pm

Demetri,

Thanks again for the quick response and the new insight. I'll try to explain the project as best I can based on your questions.

The overall presentation is pretty simple in all reality. On the stage you see masked animations, typography and tweening images throughout the presentation. The background music does not have to sync to anything in the movie...simply play from beginning to end. The voice over, however, syncs up to the images and typography. Actually, the imagery on stage is just a visual representation of the voice over since all the real info is contained there. Some of the items that sync to the voice over are bullet points that are revealed during the talking.

As for the other sections, I am currently using frame labels for my navigation. The opening section that plays is the Introduction. The navigation allows the users to skip to other parts of the presentation such as Technology, How It Works, and Summary. There is a tab that users click on to expand the navigation which retracts after the user selects a section. Alternatively, they can click on fast forward button to skip to the next section. Finally, they can click on a pause button that will stop the presentation in its tracks. All animation, music and voice over must stop at this time. When this happens, the pause button is now displayed as a play button that will resume the presentation.

I hope I was able to give you the info you were looking for. If not, I would be more than happy to send you the file via YouSendIt if that would be more help.

What I have completed so far can be viewed here: http://www.omninewmedia.com/testsites/monitise.html

Thanks,
Roger

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on May 18, 2009 at 10:10:27 pm

its probably because the file is so huge, but i can't seem to open that link. nevermind for now.

from what you are saying, this will be fairly painless, and will leave you with a streamlined file.

i am finishing up another project right now, so i will go into more details later, but we will do the following:

1) have the background music play as an externally loaded file
2) your 'voice-over' files will be turned into FLVs ( even if there is no video, they will be strictly audio FLVs) which will be scripted with Cue Points. as the 'voice-over'/FLV plays, at the exact times you want, bullets, text , whatever, will appear on the stage, in relation to the spoken words
3)maybe we'll have your navigation load external SWFs rather than jump through the timeline. we'll see.

Return to posts index

Roger Jordan
on May 19, 2009 at 1:31:16 pm

Hi Demetri,

Im not for sure why the link isn't working. I just copied and pasted it into my browser and it loaded up fine. It's just a SWF on an HTML...only about 5MB.

I we get all those changes working I think that would help me tremendously with future projects. So when we do all that stuff, I will still be able to use custom play and pause buttons to stop and restart the presentation?

Thank you very much for all the attention you've given to my post already :)

-Roger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]