FORUMS: list search recent posts

Embedding a Flash multimedia player into a website

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Williams
Embedding a Flash multimedia player into a website
on May 4, 2009 at 10:12:27 am

I would like to have a page within my website which contains text links for both FLV video files and also MP3 audio files, and when these links are clicked I would like the content to play in one central Flash multimedia player on the page. Please could someone direct me to the code for a Flash multimedia player which I could copy into my HTML, and if possible let me know how I would set the link to load in the player, rather than on a new page?

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: Embedding a Flash multimedia player into a website
on May 5, 2009 at 4:36:46 pm

you are asking a lot here. i would break down my logic and work-flow . i am assumsing i understand you correctly that you have an html web page that you want to insert a Flash created SWF which would act as your 'mult-media player'. now- are your text links for the videos and music contained in this SWF ( easy ) or are they soley in your html ( more difficult) ?

once that is decided, then we concentrate on the 'multi-media' player. there are of course many ways to create this. you might have a FLVPlayback Component that loads different flv videos depending on the button clicked. other buttons, when clicked, disable the video player, while activating a Sound Channel to play you mp3s. or you might choose to encode your mp3s as actual flvs instead, and then have them actually play in the FLVPlayback Component. this is actually pretty easy ( it makes the coding a lot easier) and also gives you the chance to add visuals while your music is playing. you can ,of course, have visuals associated with your mp3 if not done this way, it just adds layers of complexity to it, and depends on how comfortable you are at coding.

those are just 2 approaches, there are many others that can be easily custom built in Flash.

let us know more details of what you are looking for,and how comfortable you are in coding, and we can help you out.

Return to posts index

Ian Williams
on May 5, 2009 at 5:34:08 pm

I was hoping that I would be able to copy and paste some code into my page for the player, and that I would then have text links which would play the content in the one player, rather than having a separate player for each link. I wouldn't have a problem with making the MP3's FLV as well as the videos, and just having them blank or with text or whatever.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on May 6, 2009 at 12:51:33 am

i think you misunderstood - i was never suggesting separate players for each link - oh my god no. each link loads whatever you want into the same player. better yet, and easier if you are willing to turn the mp3s into flvs.

but you are still not saying, or are not clear if you are meaning the links(buttons) are inside the swf, or if you are expecting html text on your webpage (outside the swf) to activate the player. they are quite different processes

Return to posts index

Ian Williams
on May 6, 2009 at 6:21:19 am

Well the idea would be that I would be able to add more videos (with their own links) to the page as they became available. I'm pretty new to all this but it sounds like it would be easier to create an SWF with the one player and all the links inside it, but then it would be harder to add a new video because I would have to go back to add it, then reencode it to SWF? I originally thought that there would be a player in the middle of the page, with simple text links either side (audio and video). But if that is going to be complicated then I could consider trying to have the links inside the SWF.

Return to posts index

Ian Williams
on May 7, 2009 at 6:23:52 pm

I've decided to keep it simple and encode my videos in Flash, adding transport controls to each video. Then maybe use thumbnail images as links or something. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on May 8, 2009 at 12:01:03 pm

- with either process, any new videos will have to a) be encoded to FLV and then b) uploaded to your server and c) a new link created- either an external HTML link in your webpage, or a new link/button inside the SWF.

- if you were using the html link version, you then need to go back into the html and add the new html link, AND new javascript code ( more about the javascript in a bit ... ), but you DON't need to touch the created swf.

-if you had it all as a self-contained swf in your html page, then you just need to go into the flash file, add your new link/button, and re-export the ammended swf and re-upload the swf to the server. IF you renamed this ammended swf, you also have to go back into the html to change the reference path to it.

in my opinion, keeping it as a self contained swf is initially easier, though lyou have to access and rework the original fla to make changes.

to do html links, you WILL need to know and write javascript. if you are fine with that, then it is not difficult. if you are unsure about it,then it becomes confusing . on the Flash side, you will need to import and use ExternalInterface. if you go this route, search for and read tutorials on it first. know also that you can run into the usual html BS - it works in some browser versions, and doesn't in others ( notorious in IE ). people are having success embedding the swf using SWFObject2. snoop around the web to read up onit

let us know what you come up with,and if you need any specific help to any of these issues. good luck !

Return to posts index

Ian Williams
on May 9, 2009 at 11:04:49 am

I've decided to keep it simple, encoding each video in Flash, then adding player controls and exporting it, then putting it into Dreamweaver. Keeps it simple.

However, I have created a link to an MP3 file, where I literally just added the link within Dreamweaver. Because of this, when I click the link, it goes to a blank page with just a set of controls on it, which doesn't look very good. Is there a simple way of setting it up so that when you click the MP3 link it plays the MP3 in Windows Media Player or whatever the user's computer defaults to? I also tried encoding an MP3 in Flash to create a blank video, but I couldn't seem to get that way to work either.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on May 10, 2009 at 12:16:57 am

you should probably direct the ' Dreamweaver mp3 link to open in WMP' question to the Dreamweaver Forum, as it lies outside the Flash / Actionscript Forum description

however, regarding your struggle with turning the MP3 into a FLV:

there are probably other ways, but do use the Flash Video Encoder. just drag in the MP3, then go to settings. you will see the screen that pops up saying " This file has no readable video track". that is fine.
click on the Audio tab and choose your data rate settings. click OK, then Start Queue. it will now save the MP3 as a FLV with jsut a soundtrack. you can then treat it as you would a flv video, and play in in any FLV video player you want to. if you want to get creative, you can add graphics, or animation, to play along with the music.

hope that helps ....

Return to posts index

Ian Williams
on May 10, 2009 at 5:09:26 pm

Yeah that helps a lot, thanks!

Return to posts index

Will Baker
on Jul 6, 2010 at 12:36:37 pm

I am in the process of embedding my FLV player onto my Flash website.

http://www.willbakerarts.com/ShowReel/

The problem I am having is getting my buttons to load with my FLV player. the skin is not loading with the video!!

With a slower internet connection the video will not play properly and i need the buttons there so the user can pause and let the video buffer.

What do i need to do to get these buttons visible? How can I stop the video playing automatically?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Will Baker
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:34:12 pm

i have fixed the problem. Just needed to add the Skin.swf as well :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]