FORUMS: list search recent posts

LEES FLASH MOVIE BASICS - simple flv player with play button for website - any help please!!

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
emma burge
LEES FLASH MOVIE BASICS - simple flv player with play button for website - any help please!!
on May 1, 2009 at 7:33:49 pm

Hello

I am a newcomer here!

I am oriented around html/css webdesign, and graphic design in photoshop, but know nothing of Flash, and i am attempting to learn!

I have found a lot of complex tutorials but none that fit my specification. All i need to know is how to make an interface incorporating a play button which plays a .flv file. I already have a .flv file ready and the graphic i want to use for the button, but no idea how to begin.

The .flv i want to play is a short 3-4 minute clip of someone talking including audio - i dont know the best way to play it and have heard of different options including embedding or somehow linking to an external flv file.

I have tried various tutorials to try to achieve a simple interface with play button - i dont need a skin, rewind, forward, etc, just a play button and for it to go away while the video is playing, and perhaps a pause/stop button in the corner of the swf, over the top of the flv file itself. But I have had no success, mainly due to errors within the actionscript

I began to use Lee's video basics tutorial but get actionscript errors in part one, so have not even moved on to buttons!

Can anybody help or point me in the right direction of a good tutorial??

Any help would be much appreciated!

Emma

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
Re: LEES FLASH MOVIE BASICS - simple flv player with play button for website - any help please!!
on May 2, 2009 at 2:25:20 am

Hi Emma. I really, really, REALLY feel your pain, because I went through pretty much the same situation in January and February when building a website to post my videos. At times, it was a nightmare. I found a bunch of tutorials, but they ranged from useless to fairly helpful.

Ultimately, I ended up downloading a free Flash video player at http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/

Unfortunately, there's still a number of steps that you'll need to perform to get the above-mentioned player properly set up for your website. Basically, these steps include uploading some Javascript files to your website (you'll get them when downloading the player) and coding the webpage to display your video (i.e. filename, screen dimensions, etc.).

If you'd like to see what my typical webpage looks like for playing a video, here's an example: http://gojim.tv/Video_Files/BHC2009/BHC2009broadbandpreview.html

If you download the above webpage, you'll be able to see the coding for the specific image (.gif) and video (.flv) files used, and the various settings for screen size, etc.

I'm sorry if this complicates things further for you. It's one of those things that, if I were sitting in your office showing you exactly what to do to make it work, you'd be able to do it in a matter of minutes. As to why it's not made so easy to do, I'll never understand.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Post again if I can be of further help.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]