FORUMS: list search recent posts

Add buttons to .f4v encoded videos

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cole Perkins
Add buttons to .f4v encoded videos
on Apr 16, 2009 at 5:00:06 pm

I have a large batch of videos I've output to .f4v with no skin. How can I add a simple skin and buttons that appear at the end of the video to these files? I need a button that will let viewers replay the video from the beginning, a button that will send them to another html page with more information, and a button that will allow viewers to e-mail feedback. Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: Add buttons to .f4v encoded videos (AS3 proposed solution)
on Apr 16, 2009 at 6:55:00 pm

as always, there are several ways to go about this. You could of course use CuePoints in your videos that would then trigger anything you want - the appearance of buttons, or whatever. you can search this forum for Cue Points and see how it is done. i have explained it several times.

another easier approach, whcih might or might not work for you would be to use a COMPLETE event of the VIDEO EVENT CLASS to have the end of the video either take you to a new frame where you can have different content( buttons for all your other video choices, etc) , or use it to load on the same frame an external SWF which had all your other buttons, or it could turn on the visibility of previously placed "hidden buttons" etc. i think you see where this is going. you can write the function to do just about anything. to use this class, you need to import the class. here is the complete code for importing the class, and adding a function. in this code example, the function takes you to a new frame....

flvPlayer.addEventListener(VideoEvent.COMPLETE, myFunction);

function myFunction(evt:VideoEvent):void{

of course you need to have an initial video player. see the Flash Tutorials here if you need help with that. they will explain how to add a skin also. i suggest Lee Brimelow's Flash Video Basics series, as well as Tony Ross's video tutorials

here is a quick example to see it in action( in this example, the function actually just turns on the visibility of the 2 buttons. also, the initial green button you see is on frame one, click it to get to frame 2 and view the video ( done to combine an example for the previous thread to yours) hope this makes sense !

let us know what you come up with, or if you need any further help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved