FORUMS: list search recent posts

preloader/List component problem

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Britton
preloader/List component problem
on Apr 13, 2009 at 8:45:50 pm

I'm working in as3...

I have a flash webpage that loads a swf on a button click. That swf is nothing more than a List component that is filled using xml. When I publish this webpage straight from it's .fla document, all is good.
But when I load this webpage using a preloader, the List component swf is not happy - that is, it doesn't populate anything. all other functionality remains the same.
Oh, and I'm getting this error from the preloader.fla:

TypeError: Error #2007: Parameter child must be non-null.
at flash.display::DisplayObjectContainer/addChildAt()
at fl.controls::BaseButton/drawBackground()
at fl.controls::LabelButton/draw()
at fl.core::UIComponent/drawNow()
at fl.controls::List/drawList()
at fl.controls::List/draw()
at fl.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher()

What am I missing to get this website to publish correctly using the preloader?

Return to posts index

Jim Britton
Re: preloader/List component problem
on Apr 14, 2009 at 6:21:32 pm

Anybody have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Philip Wilson
on May 21, 2009 at 9:43:39 am

did you ever get a solution for this? I have the same issue too, however really struggling to find any help on the interweb :-(

Return to posts index

Jim Britton
on May 21, 2009 at 6:10:08 pm

Hi Phillip,

I decided it was a problem with a mask. I had masked the entire website (both the preloader and the website)...these masks seemed to be causing me some problems with this swf. The only way I could not get the errors was to remove the mask - which was not an option for me.
So I created my own list box from scratch. It was loaded externally, it worked well. Again I changed approaches though and brought all my code into the website.fla instead of using external swfs. This has given me the best results overall.

I was using the List Box component to hold a list of our press releases. When clicked, it would go out to the respective websites. There's obviously a ton of ways to do something like this in Flash. I chose to create thumbnails, set their content property to the link string, load them when frame 1 launches and then when clicked it navigates to the URL.

Hope this helps you...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved