FORUMS: list search recent posts

swf shrinks in IE

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tori Burton
swf shrinks in IE
on Apr 7, 2009 at 12:31:10 am

I have looked for this question all over the forums and could not find any reference to it, so I apologize in advance if I am asking a duplicate question. I am currently making a site in wordpress where I am trying to add a flash component to the header of just the home page. I am pretty new at flash so I have never really had to insert it into my pages. The website I started on, seems to work differently between FF and IE (pc). In Firefox the file plays perfectly, at the correct size. In IE however it shrinks it dramatically. I have researched and found some JavaScript code that supposedly fixes the problem, but every time I try to incorporate it, it messes up the whole page layout in both FF and IE.

I have this currently:

<div id="flash"><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="870" height="140" title="WKU SGA">
<param name="movie" value="wp-content/themes/wp-monochrome/images/sga2.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="LOOP" value="false" />
<embed src="wp-content/themes/wp-monochrome/images/sga2.swf" width="870" height="140" loop="false" quality="high" pluginspage="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed>

I have tried to change the numbers to percentages, rearrange the order, and even take/add somethings. Still, it has not fixed the IE problem and usually just screws up FF. It is still important to have it not loop and have a transparent background. If you could give me some advice I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
Re: swf shrinks in IE
on Apr 7, 2009 at 1:42:50 pm

I believe this is specific to individual screens or versions of OS running on specific screens and not every version of IE. I know this problem happens with me and every piece of Flash content but it only started when I got the computer I now have and so I don't use IE anymore excepts to check things sometimes.

The fix I have found or work around that will make Flash content look correct in IE on my computer is to dynamically set the width and height of all the Flash components using action script.

I just recently found this fix when I created the new video player in the COW Library.

This can be a pain if you have many parts in your movie and none of it uses action script. One quick work around in a case like that would be to put all your elements in the main timeline into a movie clip along with a background solid that is the size of the stage, give the new movie clip with all your components an instance name and then set the width and height of the clip to the stage width and height using action script. (AS3):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved