FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Flash as screencast/video editor

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Price
Using Flash as screencast/video editor
on Apr 3, 2009 at 1:16:50 pm

I currently use Techsmith Camtasia to produce eLearning screencasts, and while the screen video capture process is very professional - I feel the other aspects of the application such as the overlays and flash interactivity could be presented in a more professional manner. I am aware that Flash would allow more options and flexibility in regard to interactivity - and I assume I can generate far more professional looking overlays/assets using the visual tools Flash includes. My only concern is the integration and editing of 30 fps video (SWF/MP4/FLV) into Flash - is there any risk that my video editing options would be compromised in favour of features placed in Premiere - for example, looking at the Adobe website, how detailed is the timeline editor for "per frame" sync'ing and editing. Could I splice existing video/audio feeds and compile a video comprised of various takes with Flash visual overlays (lower thirds etc)?

Thanks,
Rob

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
Re: Using Flash as screencast/video editor
on Apr 6, 2009 at 4:55:16 pm

Flash is not necessarily a video editor.

What you would want to do is do your video editing in Premiere, After Effects, FCP or another video editing application render your video as an FLV or convert it into one using a converter and then use Flash as your video player for your FLV movies. The lower thirds would be created in your video editing application or use Photoshop to create your lower thirds and then import them into the video editing application.

Abraham

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Apr 6, 2009 at 7:41:41 pm

i agree with Abraham - do this work in FCP ( or its equivalent), as this will be easier and more efficient.

but ... since this IS a Flash forum, i would like to remind that you CAN use Flash to create captions for your Flash Video, by creating captions with either Timed Text, or Cue Points. I personally love using Cue Points ( for other purposes), BUT i would not look forward to doing a whole project of captions using them, nor TImed Text.

for me, doing a handful of captions in a project would be Ok, but more than that, i would definitely add them directly in FCP ( which i use ) or another video editor.

now that being said, know that there can be some issues to be aware of when using Cue Point Captioning.....

Robert, you are happy with Techsmith's Camtasia ? i am looking for a good screencast application myself

Return to posts index

Robert Price
on Apr 6, 2009 at 7:54:10 pm

After using both Camtasia and Captivate trial versions, we took Camtasia on for our company elearning modules. It has many advantages over other screencasting software (such as Adobe Captivate) largely because it takes on the video timeline approach and not the slide-based approach. While many of Captivates production features exceed Camtasia (think Premiere-lite) and has far greater Flash integration, the core role of recording is a real pain in Captivate. Video quality, editing options and outputs are far superior in Camtasia, and the workflow benefits of working in a timeline editor make it far quicker and easier to "industrialize" your output.

Having had some exposure to Premiere, I was suprised Adobe took the slide-based approach to the screencasting - while I can see advantages of familiarility to office/business types (who would be the target market for this software, as PPT is their bread and butter), I think they missed out making the best possible product available because of this. While Camtasia's timeline isn't the greatest implementation in the world, it's clearly the only way to deal with video-based media.

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Apr 6, 2009 at 10:28:48 pm

thanks. i just downloaded the trial version, so i'll give it a whirl ......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]