FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash to Video (Final Cut)

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve turcotte
Flash to Video (Final Cut)
on Apr 1, 2009 at 7:41:37 pm

I created a Flash introduction for a web series and upon importing the Quicktime video to FinalCut I found that there is a bit of a loss in quality. It appears that colors may be bleeding and interlace scan lines are distorting a few objects. Even after de-interlacing the problem hasn't gone away.

The Intro can be seen at just click on any episode. The distortion is most apparent in full screen mode.

Any input on converting Flash animation for use in an editing platform would be great.

Return to posts index

Drew Hoffmeyer
Re: Flash to Video (Final Cut)
on Apr 1, 2009 at 10:52:17 pm

I am having the same issue as you. The flash video that i have incorporated with FCP is choppy with a loss of quality. It is very hard to find answers on this seemingly easy question.

I have found that you don't want to compress the video out of Flash. keep it uncompressed even run the animation through After effects to add a motion blur to it. compress it when you are completely finished with the project.

I don't know if this helps but like i said, answers are hard to find on this subject.

Return to posts index

steve turcotte
on Apr 2, 2009 at 2:51:10 pm

Yeah, I've read a little bit and tried adding a few filters in Final Cut, which didn't seem to improve the situation by much. I used the anti-flicker filter and some basic color correction, since the edges seem to bleed a bit.

I think another compressor might be a better idea. I'll give a few other options a go and let you know if anything shows promise.

Thank You!

Return to posts index

Dan Schanler
on Apr 7, 2009 at 7:18:01 pm

hey Steve,

I'm having a similar issue... if you have any suggestions, please let me know. I'll repost my specs and the program specs.

The program is for a broadcast network, and my FCP sequence and project footage are 29.97, standard def. NTSC DV (3:2) 720x480, compressor DV/DVCPRO

My graphics guy is giving us flash graphics footage.
FCP says that it's 10fps, 720x540, Animation compressor.
Quicktime says that the graphics files is 17.28fps.

I know next to nothing about Flash, and the graphics guy has a great design sense, but not too much tech background - what do I tell him to get us graphics that will work seamlessly?

Dan Schanler

Return to posts index

Tony Ross
on Apr 8, 2009 at 10:16:55 am

Hey All-
I jump from Flash to FCP a lot. Here is the trick I use:

Even though my Flash file maybe 10 fps, I export its movie at 30 fps.

I have noticed though, sometimes the Animation codec messes up the fps.

In a worst case scenario, when FCP wont import something because of an odd frame rate, I re-export the movie from Quicktime using None for compression.
Don't use Current or Automatic for frame rate, manually set it to 29.97 or 30. Yes, the file will be HUGE, but it should now import fine to FCP.

Hope this helps

tony ross

keep it simple, make it perfect…

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Oct 7, 2009 at 5:38:12 pm

Well, I have been seeing the same basic problem: I export from Flash CS3 to quicktime on OSX. No matter how many times I export my 12 second clip from flash as a .mov, when I import the clip to FCP, it makes it 10fps and only imports the first 12 seconds (or 120 frames). I can't tell you how many codecs I tried this with.

I finally remembered my old school stop-motion animation lessons and exported all frames as a JPEG sequence from Flash, then opened the image sequence and converted to a self-contained .mov at 29.97fps. Opened in FCP and it works fine - AND no issues with compression.

Since I never sync sound in Flash, I just dropped my soundtrack into FCP and it works fine. I like the animation features for illustrator in Flash better than AE or Motion so it works great now. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved