FORUMS: list search recent posts

choppy flash playback

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Danner
choppy flash playback
on Mar 27, 2009 at 6:21:01 pm

For sometime now I'm having problems with flash video playback on my internet rig. Its an older pc but it used to play flash video on the internet just fine. I'm pc literate and I would've noticed any major changes to my system, but i didn't make any... flash video just started playing choppy - Even after re-installing windows(xp) If i was only watching flash it wouldn't matter to me.. But I'm a freelance web designer and when i need to check the videos I put into websites, I get choppy playback. here's a link to my most recent endeavor:

http://unicronstudios.org/websites/gtm/index.html

I had a friend check it and it plays fine for him... smooth as butter in firefox and IE7... MY firefox chokes on it and MY IE7 plays it with 95% smoothness. I don't get it

So my question is... what are the major causes of choppy playback on a pc system? When I checked the cpu usage it shows 100% that can't be right. Its not the ram i have 1.5 Gbs and plenty to spare while the video is playing.

Any help is appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
Re: choppy flash playback
on Mar 27, 2009 at 11:27:12 pm

The Chrome browser has a great tool called Task Manager that allows you to see the CPU usage of different parts of your browsing experience. If all of a sudden you load a page and the flash plugin CPU usage spikes you know there's a problem with either the flash plugin or the swf file that it is loading is way too CPU intensive. This tool has helped me diagnose problem swf files in the past when a client might give me a swf file that has an endless loop in it or something.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Dan Danner
Re: choppy flash playback
on Mar 28, 2009 at 12:23:54 am

Thanks for the tip... I checked out the task manager, then i went to the adobe site, downloaded a flash player version specifically for firefox, now the cpu is the same.. but it plays fine.... go figure.

So it had to have been the flash player plugin itself.

Thanks for the help Abraham!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]