FORUMS: list search recent posts

Control Sound Pitch or Playback Speed w/ AS3 ?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Rydberg
Control Sound Pitch or Playback Speed w/ AS3 ?
on Mar 25, 2009 at 12:27:38 am

Does anyone know if there's a way to control the playback speed of an MP3 or other sound file using ActionScript 3 in Flash?

Thanks,

- Tom

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: Control Sound Pitch ( AS3) answer=pure conjecture
on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:31:00 pm

hi tom,

great question! as a musician, i use a fantastic piece of software called the Amazing Slowdowner, by Roni Music http://www.ronimusic.com i have no connection to the company, other than it is FANTASTIC software, cheap, and the guys who designed it are great, and very helpful.

IF all you want to do is to get some music at different speeds or pitches ( and each variable can be controlled independently ) then this is what to use. you can then output the different versions and use them in your app.

in flash you could build some sort of dial or selector ( i've been working with dials lately...) to trick the user into thinking that they are slowing it down( or speeding up) when in fact you would be loading in different clips at the different speed.

IF you needed to do it all by code, i have no idea- you might need some algorithm such as is used by the Amazing Slowdowner. BUT i know that i might also explore some other 'work-arounds'. my approach would be to check out Flash AS3s ability to change the frame rate on the fly.

that shouldn't effect externally loaded files ( MP3s etc) but might work with embedded files.

OR I would also try to convert the sound file to a FLV ( ie a video, but with no picture) and load it into a FLVPlayback Component. Then you have the ability to control with code BOTH the original SWF's frame rate by using ( frameRate which is a Property of the LoaderInfo Class) AND changing the frame rate of the loaded FLV using ( framerate ) which is a Property of the MetaDataEvent Event Object. ( note the difference between frameRate and framerate )

anyway, that would be my approach. i am not the most conventional thinker, nor an 'expert' in any way. i would love to hear what the experts have to say - i hope someone chimes in : - )

keep us informed of what you find out, one way or the other. if i get some time in the next week or 2 i might try my hand at some of my own suggestions - you've piqued my curiosity !

good luck !

Return to posts index

Thomas Rydberg
on Mar 25, 2009 at 2:22:32 pm

Thank you for your suggestions Demetri. I did find an intriguing example here:

http://www.kelvinluck.com/2008/11/first-steps-with-flash-10-audio-programmi...

- Tom

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Mar 25, 2009 at 6:32:56 pm

wow - thanks for sharing that. very cool , with lots of possibilities. his app, as it stands now, is not satisfying to me and how i would apply it, but i do see the possibilities ! i would now want to concentrate on pitch control also. do check out Roni Music's Amazing Slow Downer ( there is a free sample download , to see the capabilities i will be dreaming of !

i'd love to see what you finally do with all this new knowledge : - )

i am going to study his code a bit and mull it through..

godd luck !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]