FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems editing .wav files using CS4 Fl/SB

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Darby
Problems editing .wav files using CS4 Fl/SB
on Mar 11, 2009 at 4:11:48 pm

Hello, all. First time caller, love yer show.

We're trying to pin down an issue with editing audio in Flash/SoundBooth CS4. We've been able to reproduce the following issue across several machines.

Over the past few days since we started working with CS4, we've had intermittent problems editing wav files and updating them in Flash. When we edit the source wav directly, every so often the update will fail in Flash (right-click the wav in the library, select "Update", click the update button, get the "?" icon by the filename and "0/1 files updated" message.) Attempting to update the file in the Properties dialog fails with a "Sound import failed" error message.

When we try to update wav files using the "edit with Soundbooth" menu item on the wav file's pop-up menu in the Library, neither the audio object in the Flash file nor the source wav file update.

These wav files are all 44.1 KHz, 16-bit mono files. There's no real rhyme or reason to which files appear to work and which files do not. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have a way to get .wav editing working reliably?

We've found a workaround by saving our .wav files in the SoundBooth native format, but this presents file management issues and creates more work for us in general. It's not the preferred solution.

Tom Darby
Senior Multimedia Designer
Connections Academy

Return to posts index

Newell Jones
Re: Solution
on Jul 29, 2009 at 3:50:26 pm

I have been working with this problem this morning and I believe I have a solution (at least for Flash import). Under Preferences/Metadata, uncheck both the options related to XMP. In addition, click the Metadata Display (also in Preferences/Metadata) and create a new default setting with all metadata schemas unchecked and save this setting as the new default.

Once I did this (bypassing the XMP metadata "feature"), I was able to import my .wav into Flash without problem. Remember, that you may have to close the file in Soundbooth before importing into Flash (like Flash, SB kind of hangs on to it).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved