FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beginner Needing Help!

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
krystallia sakellariou
Beginner Needing Help!
on Mar 4, 2009 at 1:26:35 am

I am hoping someone here could help me!

I am a beginner of both flash and dreamweaver but with big ambitions to make a really cool website:-)

I have a blog already ( with some video clips that I have uploaded on youtube. But now I would like to create a catalogue with all my video material on a new website. (Without using youtube)

My video clips are in dv format right now. I understand I need to do something with them first, cause they are really big...But what?
Also when looking briefly at how to insert videos on Dreamweaver it seemed as if all videos have to be in flash.

Do I need to convert my dv files to flash files? And what kind? I read something about flv, swf formats etc, but it doesnt really make my any wiser..

Is there a short cut to make all this as smooth as possible?

I would be really greatful if someone would like to guide me a little in this jungle...

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
Re: Beginner Needing Help!
on Mar 4, 2009 at 1:50:29 pm

Yeia sou krystallia,

Dreamweaver itself doesn't need Flash to display videos. other formats work also. Visit the Dreamweaver Forum- there is lots of help there.

If you are using Flash, which of course is recommended ....... : - ) then you convert your videos to FLV files. you can do this easily and quite efficiently using the Flash Video Encoder that comes with Flash. it is a separate application in stalled with Flash.

once you have your FLV files ready, then it should be fairly easy from then on. here are the steps i would take, and the way i would approach it if i wanted to put several of my videos on a 'video gallery' page in Dreamweaver:

1) convert my movies to flv files using Flash Video Encoder ( check out Lee Brimelow's "FLV ENCODING BASICS" tutorial for specifics if you need help with that)

2) create in Flash my first SWF " video player". using a FLV Player Component, set your first video. style it however you want. ( check out Lee Brimelow's tutorials "Flash Video Basics" part 1, 2 etc for specifics, if you need help with that). with multiple videos, i would make sure to set them all to NOT autoplay.

3) make separate SWFs for each video i want in the gallery.

4) create your Dreamweaver page. insert each SWF as you see fit on your page: ie into separate DIVs, etc. stylize (CSS) as you see fit. ( look for Abraham Chaffin's tutorial "Flash Video with Adobe CS3" to help with that)

5) once you upload to your server, remember to include the AC_RunActiveContent.js file that Dreamweaver generates. it might need to stay in the Scripts folder. ALSO, if you are using a component skin of any kind for your video controls,remember to upload THAT file also into the same dirrectory as the SWF. basically , you need these files on your server: 1) your HTML file, 2) your SWF(s) 3) the AC_Run.......js file and 4) any Skin.swf file if you are using a skin.

Another approach to the 'video gallery' look, one that i personally would take, would be to have 1 SWF which would have 1 FLV Video Player Component, and then have buttons to represent your different videos, and have them all load into that one, original video player. see Tony Ross's great tutorial "Simple Multi-Video Player in AS3" for the basics on that.

it of course , depends on the look you a re going after- a more streamlined look of the single player, or a "Wall of Video" look - like what you would see at Best Buy or Circuit City etc !

Kali Epitihia !

let us know how it is working out, and if you need further help.

Return to posts index

krystallia sakellariou
on Mar 4, 2009 at 4:02:22 pm

Yeia sou Demetri!

I see you must have some Greek blood in you too:-)

Thank you so much for your reply! It seems much easier now! I will look into the tutorial and let you know how it goes!

All the best to you and thanks again!

Krystallia (Greek-Swedish, living in Mexico:-) )

Return to posts index

demetri tashie
on Mar 4, 2009 at 4:17:01 pm

great ! i am sure you can do it- just look at those good tutorials.

let us know if you need more help!

( Ellino-Amerikanos apo tin Nea Yorki, milao kai Espanika ( ohi oso kal os ta ellinika mou.... ! )

Return to posts index

krystallia sakellariou
on Mar 6, 2009 at 6:00:45 pm

Muy bien!
Ego milao mono liga ellinika:-( Thelo na mathaino ala einai poly diskolo....Mou aresei para polu i Ellada omos!
Pollous xairetismous apo ton Mexico!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved