FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash's bad rap WRT SEO

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sharon Knight
Flash's bad rap WRT SEO
on Feb 25, 2009 at 12:33:01 am

Hi folks -

I am a new Flash user and I like it a lot. However, I keep hearing all these dire warnings such as Flash doesn't do well with search engine optimization, content can't be read by Google, etc. I've been trying to figure out what this means through Google's Webmaster Tools, and it seems that the content within my swf's is being found by Goggle...either I am misreading the info or this isn't the big problem folks seem to think it is??

Even if I am misreading this and Google isn't finding the content of my SWF's in searches, can't you just place your flash site within an html page and then enter meta tags in the header of the html page?

Anyway, as Flash users - preferably those of you with long term professional experience - I'd love to know your thoughts on this situation.

Thanks! - Sharon

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: Flash's bad rap WRT SEO
on Feb 25, 2009 at 9:38:46 am

Flash published HTML page often comes with a bunch of meta data tags from the text in your flash file.

I think that flash's bad reputation comes from the old days when laziness and bad design led to massive flash files with no options for dial-up users. The number of websites that used to have a flash menu on an html site and didn't have other navigation options...

Phew managed to stop my rant just in time. Bad flash sites are the same as bad dogs, its not flash/dog to blame its the owner.

One issue, if you choose to build your site entirely in flash is that users won't be able to link directly to individual pages unless you play around with named anchor tags.

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]