FORUMS: list search recent posts

16x9 problem w/Flash video encoder

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Thomas
16x9 problem w/Flash video encoder
on Feb 22, 2009 at 5:39:30 pm

I have Flash Professional CS3 and use the Video Encoder quite a bit. Recently I've been trying to encode 16x9 videos out of FCP.

I can add my mov file just fine and I can see in the video settings portion of Encoder that it's still 16x9, yet when I start to encode, it compresses the image to 4x3! I've tried all settings within Flash Encoder to no avail.

Yet when I create a 16x9 FLV in MPEG Streamclip, it retains the 16x9 size. I assume it's using the same Flash encoder/codec? Is this perhaps a bug in Flash Video Encoder?

I realize I can create FLVs in Streamclip, but when I have a lot of them to do, I don't want to have to babysit each one (since Streamclip doesn't have a batch option).

Thanks all,

Bill

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
Re: 16x9 problem w/Flash video encoder
on Feb 24, 2009 at 4:49:22 pm

I work with flash 8 encoder (PC) and what I do with 16x9 AVI clips is just modify the aspect ratio on the flash encoder settings; for a 720 x 480 wide AVI, I need 873 x 480 on the encoder to get a same size FLV file ...and so on... hope this helps... good luck

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

Bill Thomas
on Feb 24, 2009 at 10:59:20 pm

[Enrique Orozco] "encoder settings; for a 720 x 480 wide AVI, I need 873 x 480 on the encoder to get a same size FLV file "

Thanks Enrique. That seems to work, but what's the calculation you use to re-size correctly?

Thanks,

Bill

Return to posts index

enrique orozco
on Feb 25, 2009 at 2:20:46 am

pixel aspect ratio is 1.2121 (only for DV widescreen...) so 720 x 1.2121 = 873
however, if you're working with HD as source (also called "widescreen"), let's say 1920 x 1080, be careful because pixel ratio is square (= 1), then on the flash encoder it will be the SAME ratio for HD..... I guess the flash encoder doesn't care about pixel ratios but we can tell the encoder the correct aspect knowing the source of our video ..... just learning but discovering new things every day.....

good luck

Enrique Orozco R.

Return to posts index

Bill Thomas
Thanks Enrique!!
on Feb 25, 2009 at 4:02:37 am

Lots of good info - thanks again...

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
Re: Thanks Enrique!!
on Feb 25, 2009 at 4:45:04 am

...glad it helps !!!!

Kind Regards

Enrique Orozco R.

Return to posts index

Edgar Lopez
on Jun 24, 2009 at 4:52:14 pm

I found this problem yesterday and I want to share the following solution with you:

I had some 4:3 and some 16 video:9 video that I wanted to put together in one project. I Envision the 4:3 content having black vertical columns next to it, And any 16:9 stuff just taking up the whole screen. Here's what I did: My project as an output from avi Premiere Pro CS3 as ntsc widescreen (1.2 pixel aspect ratio).

I soon encountered a problem: Flash CS3 in the file import video dialog that I use to import my video does not seem to offer a 16:9 conversion. However, You can resize the video in the encoding step in the resize section. (Uncheck the "Maintain aspect ratio above button and enter a pixel size that will be 16:9). But how do you ensure the resulting dimensions of the image are not too stretchy or Squishy?

How many pixels wide do you want your 16:Video 9 to be? If you know how wide you want the final video to be, 9 divided by 16 to get 0.5625. Multiply your number of pixels width (in my case 444) by 0.5625 and you get 249.75. Round it up to 250 pixels...That's close enough...And you're in September. Put those numbers in the box height and width, Maybe drop your frame rate to 15 fps same as source instead of, Just to reduce file size. (look in the video section of the encoding step...It's a couple of tabs to the left of the resize box.)

If you know how tall your want your video display to be in pixels, 16 divided by 9 to get 1.7777778. This is your multiplier ratio. Now, Take the height you want the final video to be in pixels (let's say it's 250) and multiply that by 1.77. The result tells you your video needs to be 442.5 pixels wide 16 to maintain your correct:9 aspect ratio. Round 442.5 to 443 and you're up in September. Put those number in the box resize height and width, And click next to encode.

(remember, In my scenario I exported the video from Premiere 1 as a widescreen ntsc.Avi file 2.)

Hope this helps.

-Lenyman-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]