FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flash/Keynote

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elin grome
Flash/Keynote
on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:15:01 am

Hi guys,

Just a quick (and rather vague) question... my company is holding a mini vote/election thing at its next meeting and would like to display the vote count in "real time" as the votes come in...

The votes come in slowly and are read out one by one so it should be possible for an operator to update this manually using the number pad to send simple commands in flash...

...but it would come in the middle of a keynote presentation and would ideally be as seemless as possible... rather than quiting KEynote and launching flash separately could we;

a) launch the swf within Keynote and still retain the interactive functions? (ie through Quicktime)

or

b) launch the swf in the swf standalone player (ie leave keynote) through Keynote (i remember something like this was possible in flash/powerpoint)...

SO long since i used flash.. its a simple enough project but very very VERY high profile so I cant afford f**k ups and need to advise asap if its possible...

I hope that makes some sense,

Any help much appreciated,

Cheers

Elin

It's all the those pesky details :p

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: Flash/Keynote
on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:50:28 am

How are the votes being collated? There is a really simply method if only one operator is updating the votes and that is to use a txt file to import the variables: (I should point out that this is an AS2 solution)

Build a txt file (mine is called results.txt) like this:

&option1=0
&option2=0
&option3=0
etc...

&done=done.

Have flash load this file in periodically (easiest way is a count function from a movieclip:

loadText = new LoadVars();
loadText.load("results.txt");
loadText.onLoad = function(success) {
if (this.done == "done") {
_root.vote1 = int(this.option1);
_root.vote2 = int(this.option2);
etc....

}
}

This code creates a new variable set, which Flash takes as 'this', then loads those variables from the text file. int makes sure Flash deals with the variables as numbers and _root.vote1 is the variable outside of this that Flash can act on easily.

All your operator has to do is keep the text file open on their PC and update and save as the votes come in. The flash player on the presenter's screen will just keep checking the txt file to update the results.

Now, if you want your employees to be able to submit their votes directly, then you have to look into either javascript or php. I've had some experience using both and personally, javascript isn't robust enough as it has problems if two people submit simultaneously. PHP, I can start to talk you through but it's complicated to set up.

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]