FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 codec support for alpha

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tara Carrigy
H.264 codec support for alpha
on Feb 19, 2009 at 5:16:42 pm

Does anyone know can H.264 codec support for alpha channels?

I need to export my flash animations to video using H.264 codec and file formats mp4 or 3gp. I also need to preserve alpha channels in my animations.

Currently I'm exporting flash to .mov and then using Adobe Media Encoder to encode in H.264 mp4 but I'm loosing my transparent backgrounds.

thanks,

Tara

Return to posts index

daniel rucci
Re: H.264 codec support for alpha
on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:56:03 pm

I am doing the same thing right now!! yay for new business.

Remember you have to be authoring for Flash v9 update 3 or later to use h.264 at all. So Looked and found this
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Player:9:Update:H.264#Q:_Does_th...

which says "Q: Does the H.264 implementation in Flash Player support alpha channel? A: No. Our first implementation does not support alpha channels using H.264, but we plan to implement this feature in the next major release."

and I'm looking up flash 10 right now to try and find the same thing. I do not know how to encode a .mov in h.264 with alpha however

Return to posts index

daniel rucci
on Feb 20, 2009 at 8:59:57 pm

okay here's your answer

H.264 Support for the H.264 video codec was incorporated into Flash Player beginning with version 9.0.r115. The F4V video format which uses this codec provides a significantly better quality-to-bitrate ratio than previous Flash video codecs, however, it is more computationally demanding than the Sorenson Spark and On2 VP6 video codecs released with Flash Player 7 and 8.

Note: If you need to use either video with alpha channel support for compositing, or cue points to trigger synchronized events with video playback, you must use the On2 VP6 video codec; F4V does not support alpha video channels. Cue points can be embedded in the XMP metadata of an F4V file, but parsing that data requires custom ActionScript code.

from here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Flash/10.0_UsingFlash/WS9222D73A-676D-41cd-9222...

Return to posts index

Tara Carrigy
on Feb 23, 2009 at 10:31:11 am

Hey Daniel,

Thanks a lot for your help.

Tara

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]