FORUMS: list search recent posts

AS3.0 Flash Banner Q

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Milner
AS3.0 Flash Banner Q
on Feb 3, 2009 at 10:31:42 am

Just a quick question:

My company is doing some advertising and we would like to make up some flash banners. The only thing is that the file can't be bigger than 30KB. I haven't been able to get anything to look good or run smoothly with that size limitation.

I've been reading about the Loader class and I'm wondering if anyone has ever submitted an empty .swf with a bit of AS3.0 that loads a larger .swf that I'll host on my webserver.

Would this work?

Anything I should watch out for? Security issues?

Many Thanks,

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: AS3.0 Flash Banner Q
on Feb 3, 2009 at 3:46:36 pm

You'll need to use the allowDomain method to allow your Loader to load a child .swf that's not on the same server as the parent container.

AllowDomain docu

Also, be very wary when hosting a large banner on your own server. If your banner will be visible on big portals, chances are your webserver won't be able to handle the traffic. (I'm talking Yahoo, MSN, that sort of stuff) In this case it's far better to contract a hosting company.

And lastly, for banners it is still considered best practice to use AS2 instead of AS3. Although FP9 has an incredibly high penetration already (around 97% last I checked) it's usually still better to play on the safe side (certain companies, like microsoft for instance, only allow files exported for FP8 and below)

Kind regards,

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
on Feb 3, 2009 at 5:32:38 pm

Hi Pieter,

Thanks for all the advice.

Kind Regards,

Return to posts index

Tim Shayakhmetov
on Feb 17, 2009 at 4:56:40 pm

Hey Clint,

I've done exactly what you're thinking of using AS2.0 and it worked fine.

A ~6KB wrapper SWF was submitted to the client (who used Double Click's DART ad server). The wrapper SWF contained preloader code and a small background graphic. It called in a 50KB SWF that was hosted by a 3rd party. This was a standard non-expandable banner that just needed to be larger than 30KB. The TweenLite animation engine and standard AS2 load & preload code (not Motif) worked well.

Don't forget the cross-domain code rules and traffic considerations that Pieter mentioned.

Are there any specific hosting companies you'd recommend for this situation?

-- Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved