FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning Flash File to CD - Flash 8

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Casey
Burning Flash File to CD - Flash 8
on Feb 2, 2009 at 10:37:38 pm

Hello,

I am trying to burn a Flash file to a CD. It is a menu with a button that when clicked-on, plays a video.

I am publishing and/or exporting from Flash 8. When we publish to the desktop it can read it (the menu button works), however, whenever we burn to CD-R (using Nero) put CD-R in other cpus, the file is displayed, but it does not recognize file.

We have latest version of Flash installed on the other cpus.

We are trying to burn the file so that the menu (with Flash comes up automatically immediately after you insert CD into drive), you can select the button and the video plays.

We are running Windows XP on PC's.

We have a disc that does this that was made by someonelse and trying to figure out how it was done. We noticed that the video file is Real and that there is an auto-play file. However, we no longer have this disc because someone "misplaced" it.

Any help is very appreciated! We're non-profit, so this might be your good deed for the day : )...

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Burning Flash File to CD - Flash 8
on Feb 3, 2009 at 12:21:26 am

I too would like to know, particularly if there are solutions that would allow a CD Disc being played on either a Mac or PC to immediately launch a Flash movie upon insertion.

I believe the solution has something to do with creating a "start.ini" file but I am thinking that will only work on CDs inserted into a PC, not a Mac running OS X

Return to posts index

Ryan Casey
on Feb 3, 2009 at 1:36:22 am

Thank you. I am going to try a .inf file. Can I just write that up in txt file, rename file with the .inf extension and then burn to my disc? Or do I need software to create an .inf?

Also, more importantly, do you happen to know why the .swf would not be recognized on other machines? That's my main issue.

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
on Feb 3, 2009 at 9:16:05 am

An inf file is a basic text file with something like the following code, saved with a different extension:

[autorun]
open=menu.exe
icon=filesticket.ico

This points Windows to run a program on the root of the CD called 'menu.exe' and tells it to display an icon for the CD called 'ticket.ico'. The ico file is 'hidden' in a folder called 'files'.

Exe files only run on Windows PCs and I've never had luck making a Mac CD as I can't test it. My workaround is to include a web-based menu next to the exe. Actually I also 'hide' everything for that web-page inside the 'files' folder as well to avoid confusion.

Hope that helps

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

Ryan Casey
on Feb 3, 2009 at 9:59:07 pm

Thank you! The Auto-Run works great for us!

Question: do you necessarily HAVE TO have the video be streaming from a web server? OR can you have the video play from the CD locally without the internet?

Ryan

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Feb 3, 2009 at 11:27:59 pm

Ryan, as I read Graham's posting, the autorun.inf code seems to be designed to do exactly that, to play the video file that is stored on the CD itself, no Internet required.

Can you paste the content of your autorun file here?

Also can you test your disc on a Mac? I am curious if it will still work, my suspicion is no but I'd be curious to see what result you get.

Return to posts index

Ryan Casey
on Feb 4, 2009 at 4:32:13 pm

Steve,

We can auto-run so that the menu pops up. However, when we click on the button (that should trigger the video), we only get the video frame and no video (it is simply a blank white screen where video should be).

Also, we cannot test on Mac, sorry, we only have PC's.

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
on Feb 5, 2009 at 10:48:45 am

Just to confirm, your video is in Real format?

Does your flash menu link to a webpage with the video embedded or directly to the video itself? If it's in a webpage, is the path definetly correct (ie can you open the webpage just from Windows and see the video?)

Finally, following on from Steve's request, it would be really useful if you code also post your button code, and a screenshot of your menu and 'white' video. Might just help us get to the bottom of this.

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]