FORUMS: list search recent posts

Save files from CD

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Petty
Save files from CD
on Feb 2, 2009 at 3:21:19 pm

Hello all,

I am creating an interactive CD with images and text file users can download to their own computers. Unfortunately I seem to be completely lost on how to do this. I was hoping someone could help me out or point me in the right direction.

I can use AS2 or AS3. The CD also has to be compatible with both PC and Mac.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
Re: Save files from CD
on Feb 3, 2009 at 9:09:35 am

Hi Kevin

To access external files, you need to use the getUrl method in AS2. i'm sure there's a better way in AS3, but I haven't had time to learn that yet.

You can run into problems when making a CD-based flash program. One is that the user may need to allow Active Content to run from CD. It's an option in the advanced security settings in IE.

My workaround is to put both an exe on the CD and a webpage. I'll hide everything else within a folder called 'files' or whatever and just have the autorun file, the exe and the html above that. (You have to go into the html code to hide the swf, but in my experience you can't trust users to not get confused between an icon and a program!)

Basically, after that if the CD fails to autorun, the user can explore the CD and open the webpage and should be able to access your files that way.

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

Kevin Petty
on Feb 3, 2009 at 7:44:03 pm

Hi Graham, thanks for the reply.

I've actually tried using getURL. However, when I click on a thumbnail to download the full size image using getURL, the image simply displays in a browser. What I need is for a save-as dialog box to open up so the user can choose where to save the file.

The large images are located in a folder on the CD along with the Projector file.

Perhaps Im using the getURL incorrectly?

Kevin

Return to posts index

Graham Quince
on Feb 4, 2009 at 12:59:43 pm

Ah, I'm with you. Yes, I've had the same problems. for a while I got somewhere with a .bat file, but new security settings in windows and IE made it awkward.

There was briefly some html code that allowed it, but IE has since blocked a "click to download" button, And of course, you can't right click.

My best suggestion would be for a flash menu to open a html thumbnail gallery.

Graham

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]