A couple of newbie questions

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paulo Jan
A couple of newbie questions
on Jan 9, 2009 at 6:13:18 pm

Hi all:

A couple of newbie questions about the Flash UI:

-When writing Actionscript code, is there any command/keystroke to show matching brackets?

-Is there any command to let you quickly find a given object on the Stage? Sometimes I have to work with a .fla file created by another person, and when I open it, all I find is an empty canvas and several empty symbols (with the same color than the background), which will presumably be populated later by the code, so unless you know where to click, you might not even know that they are there. It would be great to be able to find a given instance by name, or have Flash show you the contours of all the objects on stage (even if they are invisible).

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Sam Mattern
Re: A couple of newbie questions
on Jan 9, 2009 at 6:33:40 pm

If you hit the color box on each layer it should outline the contents of each layer in the respective color. You can also see the objects w/actions assigned from the popout left panel in the actions window, or test a movie and there is a way, I think under debug, to show all objects (text form).

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: A couple of newbie questions
on Jan 10, 2009 at 1:12:11 pm

There's also a Movie Explorer (though it's a little wonky). It supposedly lists all the instances on the stage and all the actionscript that is in your movie.

Hit alt-f3 to bring up the movie explorer.

As far as matching brackets go. The only way to do that is via an external editor like FlashDevelop. But unless you will be doing a lot of rather big projects, there's few advantages to using that instead of your Flash IDE.

Kind regards,

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved