FORUMS: list search recent posts

Game help

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Bellairs
Game help
on Dec 17, 2008 at 1:15:11 am

Hi. I'm new to this and to adobe flash, but I kinda have a big project in mind, so please bear with me. I want to create a flash game, a stick fighting game that has multiple characters, a big story line for each character (with cut scenes), multiplayer mode, and hidden characters unlocked by watching the credits and finishing other story modes. What I want to know first is: Is there a way to make a main menu, then click a button, go to the character select screen, and start a story mode?

Thanks-Togofred (<-my nickname)

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: Game help
on Dec 17, 2008 at 8:51:36 am

My experience with Flash games is... That you don't do it if you're new to both Flash and Actionscript :) Unless you have an extensive background in Java/C++ programming.

As far as your question goes. Yes, that is possible. How? That depends entirely on the way your project is setup. If I were to program this, I would go about it using the Model-View-Controller design pattern. Basically, you would create a model class (this stores all your data: which character was picked, which step they are on in the storyline, which characters they unlocked, ...) and then you would have the view (this is your interface: the menu, the characters on the screen, the credits), and for each view, you would have a controller (a class that handles button actions, keyboard navigation, ... and interacts with the model, storing information from the view into the model).

So, what I'm seeing up till now, to answer your question, is:
- model class
- menu view class
- menu controller class
- character select view class
- character select controller class
- storyline view class
- storyline controller class

If you really want to try and take on this project, I suggest reading the following books:
- To get you started: Essential Actionscript 3.0
- To explore Object Oriented (Class-based) Programming: Object-Oriented Actionscript 3.0
- For more on (very basic) games: Actionscript 3.0 Game Programming University

Kind regards,
Pieter

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Nigel Bellairs
on Dec 18, 2008 at 12:27:00 am

Thanks for your help! But will these books explain all the stuff you said ('cause I don't know how to do the things you just listed)

Thanks again! Togofred

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Dec 18, 2008 at 9:15:05 am

Yup, especially the second one will teach you all about classes and the Model-View-Controller design pattern. It's an encredibly good book.

There are always multiple ways of solving any problem. My solution for your video game is rather advanced and if you have a strict deadline for your project, you can actually go with a more simple solution and just skip the second book altogether. The first book will be an absolute must in my opinion. But the third book offers more practical solutions for simpler video games.

Kind regards,
Pieter

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]