FORUMS: list search recent posts

Controlling video AND timeline simulanteously

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Fogarty
Controlling video AND timeline simulanteously
on Nov 18, 2008 at 2:44:52 am

I am controlling the stop and play of a linked FLV video with two buttons on my main timeline. The video is on the split right side of the stage.

To the left of the video screen on the stage, I have text objects on layers of the timeline that I want to appear while the video plays (synchronized).

The stop and play work fine for the video, but the text on the timeline continues to play regardless. Is there a way to stop the text and the video with the same button simultaneously? Then same with play.

Next question...while the skins give me button control without writing action script, can these skins be modified to also control the timeline?

Return to posts index

Sam Mattern
Re: Controlling video AND timeline simulanteously
on Nov 18, 2008 at 6:24:43 pm

Your first option would be adding Cue Points when you encode the video. I have never used them, but you just add in the times you need and away you go.

The second option relates to your second question. I seem to remember that you can edit the button functionality in the built in skins, but the process is convoluted. There are great video tutorials by Lee Brimelow in the Tutorials section of this site called Flash Video Basics covering the creation of your own skin and all of the programming behind it. Using his method, you'll be able to cue up your text files like so:

function synchText():Void{
if( Math.round(nsVideo.time) == 5000 ){
text1._visible = true;
}
if( Math.round(nsVideo.time) == 15000 ){
text2._visible = true;
}

Just have an interval start calling synchText whenever the video starts playing and have it cleared whenever the video is no longer playing. OR if you are using the "seek" functionality demonstrated in the tutorials, you could add this code in there. You have limitless possibilities this way and can any functionality to the buttons with ease.

Best of providence,
Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]