FORUMS: list search recent posts

To Flash or Not to Flash!

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoot Nel
To Flash or Not to Flash!
on Sep 16, 2008 at 2:44:44 pm

Hi,

I would like to know if this website is built in flash?
The effect on the pages of layering the photo's and creating an illusion of depth by making the layers respond to your mouse movement, does this effect have a specific name?

http://www.fitforfreedanceparade.nl/#/home/

- is it flash
- what is this technique called
- are there any tutorials dealing with this

Anyone?

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Zoot

Zoot Nel

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: To Flash or Not to Flash!
on Sep 16, 2008 at 2:55:19 pm

Yup, it's definitely flash. And relatively simple to create (well, the flash bit at least, the production is a whole different story)

How this works is best explained in this instructables tutorial. It's basically the same as a Matrix bullet-time animation, where time slows down, or in this case, stops.

So it's an array of digital cameras all triggered at the same time and then you just add those into flash, and based on your mouse position, you jump to the next or previous frame, or you load in another image, depending on your preferred method.

PS: The best way to spot if something is done in flash is to right-click on the page and it should say something like 'About Adobe Flash Player' in the menu that pops up.

PSS: This effect -can- probably be reproduced in After Effects without the need for more than one camera, but it will look less good, less natural.

Kind regards,
Pieter

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Zoot Nel
on Sep 16, 2008 at 3:40:56 pm

Hi Pieter,

To be honest with you I do not think the matrix effect with an array of photo camera's was used for this website.

I imagine two identical foto where made on location. One with the talent and one a few moments later without. In post the talent was cut out in photo shop. Then the cutout placed over the second photo. The two photo's are layered. If you look closely at the photo with the dj carrying the turntable you will see along the inside of his right leg a bit of the photo that is not cleanly cut away is still visible when he is turned.

Zoot

Zoot Nel

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Sep 16, 2008 at 3:53:01 pm

You're right about the seperate layers, but the reflection on the ground as well as the perspective in that photo also tells me that they took several pictures of the scene as well. Either with an array of cameras or just one camera that's mounted on a rail (though the surface of the water doesn't change, so it's probably still an array).

Kind regards,
Pieter

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Zoot Nel
on Sep 16, 2008 at 5:14:05 pm

I had a better look and can see that photographs are indeed multiple takes of the talent and the setting!

It must have been a small array (shallow arc). There is some depth but not a lot, compared say to the rap video.

Zoot

Zoot Nel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]