FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fees for Flash Conversion?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Smith
Fees for Flash Conversion?
on Aug 22, 2008 at 7:03:56 pm

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to ask this question or not, so apologies in advance if it isn't. I have a lot of clients who are asking me to repurpose their archive media for web delivery and that means flash conversion. I've never outsourced this as I figured that it was something I should learn on my own to compliment my skillset.

Anyway... I'm at a loss as to how or what I should charge. Used to be easy to charge for dubs as that was a straightforward process. But with Flash conversion...my experience has been a lot of "back & forth" in getting just the right file size and playback quality. ( Keep in mind, I'm dealing with web designers or "would-be web designers" so their video knowledge is limited as is mine with web design).

Most of the time the files are short like under 1 or 2 minutes but some are 5 to 7 minutes and I can see even longer segments coming in the weeks and months ahead.

Any suggestions or ballparks as to how to do a "flash estimate" or fee based on time, re-do's, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I usually offer two files per job, one at a lower setting and one at a medium to medium-high quality and let the client choose for their application.

Thanks in advance,

Chaz

Return to posts index

kelly johnson
Re: Fees for Flash Conversion?
on Aug 26, 2008 at 2:39:44 am

Charge by the hour and estimate for a group of files. What I tell clients is that rendering takes time away from my machine. When I render files, I don't continue working because I don't want to do something else that might crash so time converting is computer down time.

However, I wouldn't jerk around with finding that 'sweet spot' for quality and file size. It can get ridiculous that saving maybe 10k becomes an issue. There are too many audiophytes, videophytes and the like that want to take compression far too seriously. It's the web, it's not tv, it doesn't matter that it's 2008, ya know?

Get a standard conversion rate and batch process.

You could have other machines going if you use http://www.media-convert which is free.

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
on Aug 26, 2008 at 3:20:00 am

Thanks for your posting. Yeah I know, time is still time. I guess I can use my hourly editing rate....just didn't know what the median, mean and average is for flash. Basically the same I guess as for editing on a mid-level NLE.

Thanks for your input.

Chaz

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
on Aug 26, 2008 at 3:20:12 am

Thanks for your posting. Yeah I know, time is still time. I guess I can use my hourly editing rate....just didn't know what the median, mean and average is for flash. Basically the same I guess as for editing on a mid-level NLE.

Thanks for your input.

Chaz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]