FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drop Downs in Nav Bar Not Working

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Greer
Drop Downs in Nav Bar Not Working
on Aug 12, 2008 at 2:57:09 pm

Hey there,

I've created a nav bar for my site. I have made each of the text elements (home, about, etc) as separate buttons. On their roll over they change color.

When you roll over one of the buttons ("Shows") I would like text to drop down underneath it as well that says "On Air" "Pre Production" and "In Production".

I would like to make each of these phrases it's own button as well so when you click on them it takes you to that particular page.

I did this, and when you roll over "Shows" the three categories pop up underneath "Shows" however when I rollover or click on the categories nothing happens. Even though they are buttons and I have assigned them to change colors as well as be links, no dice.

Can you not put a button with a rollover, within a button with a rollover (if that makes sense...)

I'm new to this Flash thing. :)

Thanks!
Danny

danny greer
dallas, texas
http://www.dannygreer.com

Return to posts index

Sam Mattern
Re: Drop Downs in Nav Bar Not Working
on Aug 13, 2008 at 1:21:03 pm

Danny, do the rollovers work? If the rollovers work, just not the navigation aspect, I would say there is a problem with scope.

For instance, if Shows button had actionscript like:

on(press){
_parent.gotoAndStop("shows");
}

If you used the same code on each nested button, it would refer to the shows button, so you need to add an extra parent, like:

on(press){
_parent._parent.gotoAndStop("onAir");
}

An easy way to troubleshoot scope is to do traces like:

on(press){
trace("Parent: "+_parent);
trace("This: "+this);
}

Then you can see what you're actually addressing. Or you could refer to it the absolute way:

on(press){
_root.myPage.gotoAndStop("onAir");
}

Hope that helps,
Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]