FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality drop from original MOV to published SWF

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Fien
Quality drop from original MOV to published SWF
on Aug 11, 2008 at 6:09:05 pm

Hey all. In-house corporate video guy here who doesn't know an action script if it walked up and shook my hand, so bear with me.

Using Flash Video Encoder to convert my beautiful looking .MOV file to FLV (settings - Flash 8 High Quality, VP6 codec using default setting of 700 kps for max data rate, resizing exactly in half from 720x486 to 360x243, duration approx. 2 mins).

When conversion's done, I open Flash CS3 and marry the FLV I just encoded to a player created by our web guy who's no longer with the company. I hit publish and the result is an okay looking set of files (swf, html), but not crisp like my original MOV.

Am I dreaming or is retaining that original picture quality through all this conversion not possible? Are there simple settings a dope like me can tweak that would make a difference?

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: Quality drop from original MOV to published SWF
on Aug 11, 2008 at 6:15:08 pm

You can use a custom max data rate setting that's higher than 700, but this will of course generate an .flv file that's bigger than the one with the data rate of 700.

When publishing for the internet, always carefully decide between quality and filesize. A crisp movie doesn't mean squat if the user gets tired of waiting while the file is loading.

Kind regards,
Pieter

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]