FORUMS: list search recent posts

.fla files in Macromedia Flash8?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Smith
.fla files in Macromedia Flash8?
on Aug 7, 2008 at 10:27:06 pm

I'm a real newbie with Flash so please bear with me. I'm using Macromedia Flash8 Professional and I've got a few short .avi clips in 16X9 that I need to convert into .flv files and find the .fla (original source file) after it is converted to .flv.

Now... does Flash8 create an .fla file after I convert the .avi files? If so...where do I find it? My destination drive/folder only shows me are the .flv files. Any help on getting creating .fla files from my .avi or .flv would be greatly appreciated because the help menu is of no help in revealing any info on .fla files.

Thanks,

Chaz

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: .fla files in Macromedia Flash8?
on Aug 7, 2008 at 10:36:17 pm

When using the Import Video feature in Flash 8, you will be presented with a step-by-step guide that will help you convert your .avi files into .flv files and import them onto the stage.

On the .flv file is created and placed on the stage, you still need to save your .fla file: File > Save as... and then publish the .fla to get the .swf file (File > Publish).

Here's how to import the video if you don't know already.

Kind regards,
Pieter

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
on Aug 7, 2008 at 10:49:57 pm

Thanks for your help. I've no problem importing the .avi files and creating the .flv file and having it saved to the destination folder. I just thought that it would also be saved as a .fla project somehow. From what I gather...I need to import the .flv file back into Flash? Or am I missing an important setting somewhere?

Thanks again,

Chaz

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Aug 7, 2008 at 10:54:00 pm

Once you import the video, it should appear on your stage as an FLVPlayback object. You should set the dimensions of the flash file to the dimensions of your video file (ctrl-j in the Flash environment) and then save it. You don't have to import it into Flash again.

Read through the steps I linked to in my previous post and you should be okay.

Kind regards,
Pieter

General notice: from now on, I would like to ask everyone to put [AS2] or [AS3] (corresponding to the version of actionscript you are using on your project) in front of their post titles when the question is actionscript related! Please help us help you faster. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
on Aug 7, 2008 at 10:58:51 pm

Actually after looking at the "SAVE AS" ... I do see the .fla suffix in the "save as type". When I opened a recent video file, I started to save it as an .fla but the window popped up saying this file already existed.

I opened the destination folder that I previously saved the file to and here's what I found: the file is identified as a Flash Document.
I was expecting an .fla suffix but don't see anything as such.

Is the Flash Document the same as an .fla file?

Thanks ( and sorry for the newbie questions.)

Chaz

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Aug 7, 2008 at 11:01:20 pm

Yup, there are two kinds of extensions: .fla and .swf.

.fla is your source as it were, you open this file in Flash and you can edit it.
.swf is the published version of an .fla (File > Publish). This file cannot be edited and it is the one that you will have to upload to the web for users to view it.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
on Aug 7, 2008 at 11:12:34 pm

Kewl...that helps me better understand. I've got a request from a client to upload the .fla file to their .ftp so their web designer can manipulate the "source file". So this means uploading all files, including the Flash Document (.fla ) file...right?

Thanks ( sorry for being a pest.. I come from back when we shot everything on on CP16's and used hot splicers.)

Chaz

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Aug 7, 2008 at 11:14:17 pm

Yup, the .fla is the source.

So you'll have to upload the .flv and the .fla (don't bother Publishing the .fla, they'll do that for you.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]