FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV encoding / Video De-Interlacing

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Mattern
FLV encoding / Video De-Interlacing
on Jul 18, 2008 at 1:43:11 pm

I need to borrow from the infinite wisdom here.

We have a video on our Avid editing system (Avid Xpress DV v.3.53). We are making clips, encoding them to FLV, and loading them dynamically into a flash gallery.

We are running into de-interlacing issues with the files exported from the Avid. When we try to export uncompressed, we hit the 2 gig file size limit. We can export into basically any digital format (any suggestions for the cleanest?).

First of all, we need a free or inexpensive transcoding solution that will take an exported file out of the Avid and do a nice job de-interlacing it. If it could create the FLV in the same process, hey, even better.

Can't really splurge on Sorenson. SUPER creates decent FLV's, but doesn't seem to create correct dimensions. I got Riva yesterday (also free), which is fast and does a pretty good job making the FLV. However the de-interlacing option doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sam

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: FLV encoding / Video De-Interlacing
on Jul 18, 2008 at 6:36:53 pm

There is one - other - alternative that's better than Sorensen, though, it is not free.

On2 Flix. The Sorensen codec is rather outdated and you should pratically always use the On2 codec over the Sorensen Spark codec. Prices for On2 Flix range between 50 dollar and 250 dollars.

You could try exporting to .avi from AVID first, with an Xvid codec and then run it through the FLV encoder, but I have very little experience with AVID, so perhaps you may want to ask on the AVID boards as well.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

Sam Mattern
on Jul 18, 2008 at 7:03:15 pm

Thanks Pieter. That's essentially what we're doing: exporting to AVI first, then transcoding to FLV. However, the AVI's have interlacing artifacts, no matter what flavor of AVI we use. Thanks for your suggestion of On2. I'll check into it.

Sam

Return to posts index

Sam Mattern
on Jul 23, 2008 at 5:27:05 pm

So, here is the best solution - interlace free.

Export the clip from Avid as "Fast Export 720" Quicktime file. This creates two files (a MOV and an AIF). Then drag the MOV into TMPEGEncoder and export it as a Photo JPEG 29.97 Progressive. The Photo JPEG makes a pretty large file (175 MB / min), but the resultant FLV is miniscule.

The fast export feature saves tons of time, but nothing seems to be able to use the files other than TMPEGEncoder (the best $100 we've ever spent).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]