Flash, After Effects, Shake Halo after compression

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Hurwitz
Flash, After Effects, Shake Halo after compression
on Jun 18, 2008 at 7:15:15 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before:

I am trying to key a character over a webpage, but I am getting this small white 1-2 pixel halo around him. When you look at it behind a background its fine in after effects. I have tried bringing it into flash but after I compress it with squeeze or in flash and put it behind a background (in flash) I see the white ring. I think this is a premultiplication issue. I have tried interpreting the keyed footage in after effects as straight and premultiplied and tried them both. It's pretty weird and I am wondering if anyone has gone through that problem as well, any input would be appreciated thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Ashby
Re: Flash, After Effects, Shake Halo after compression
on Jun 19, 2008 at 5:20:56 pm

I had a similar problem a while back. I'm pulling this from memory so I hope it will help. This was my work flow:

In AE I added a mask to choke/feather the the edges of the key a little. The footage I shot was HD, so rendered the key full size, no fields, uncompressed. After that, I took the rendered key and shrunk it down the correct size, still high quality uncompressed. Then I took it to the Flash video encoder and compressed it with an alpha channel. In the fla I added a slight inner glow filter to the video, similar to the background. In my case it was white. The background was a gradient that went from a orange-brown to white. So I imagine if your background was blue, adding a inner glow of the same blue would help cover in up the white outline.

We were going for a lower bandwidth, so the video compression settings reflected that, 15 fps and somewhere around 250 to 300 kbps. Probably lesser of an outline if compressed at higher quality.

final results

Adam Ashby
mutli-media artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved