FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accessing local drive & printing

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Poirier
Accessing local drive & printing
on Jun 18, 2008 at 2:22:53 am

I need to do a dynamic invitation card where the user would import a picture, add some text, see the preview then print it...

yaaououuchch!!

I haven't started the project yet, and I'm on CS3, so I don't have a preference if it's AS2 or AS3

thanks

have fun,

Markyyyy

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: Accessing local drive & printing
on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:04:27 am

Can the user import files from his computer, or just from the library where he has a selection of images created by you?

In case of the former, you will be needing the FileReference class and this will be a theoretical approach, because I'm not familiar with it. :)

Basically, what FileReference does is allow the user to browse his local drive and upload a file to the server. This class is present in both AS2 and AS3, and there should be plenty of information in the Flash Help files.

Once the file is uploaded to the server (FileReference.onComplete), initiate the MovieClipLoader class and load the image into an empty movieclip (the filename you can get from your FileReference class).

Then add the text onto the picture and create a printJob (PrintJob class and PrintJob.addPage in the Help files)

So... Once again:
- FileReference (Tutorial on Kirupa)
- MovieClipLoader (Tutorial on Actionscript.org but really, the example in the Flash Help files is all you need)
- PrintJob (Tutorial on Actionscript.org)

There may be some slight differences between the AS2 and AS3 versions of these classes, the links I gave you are AS2 examples.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

Marc Poirier
Re: Accessing local drive & printing
on Jun 18, 2008 at 4:23:14 pm

Wow.. thanks for the info...

I'll get on it!

Mark

have fun,

Markyyyy

Return to posts index