FORUMS: list search recent posts

emailing a customized flash

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sterling Youngman
emailing a customized flash
on Jun 14, 2008 at 3:39:48 am

I need to make a simple flash animation the reads input from a a user and adds their name inside the animation. Then it needs to email itself.

One thought I had was that it might be possible to email a flash with a variable attached that it reads when the animation is played back. Is this possible?

Is there a beter way?

Since I'm sure this is more technical that a simple response can cover, are there any tutorials out there that might clue me in?

Cheers,

Sterling

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: emailing a customized flash
on Jun 14, 2008 at 10:08:52 am

You will need PHP or any other server-side scripting language for this.

You will need to have 3 seperate steps. Firstly, you want to gather the information, so in your flash movie, set up 2 input text fields, name and email. Then use LoadVars to send these variables to PHP. (mail via PHP and LoadVars).

In your PHP script, comprise the link to your unique flash movie by basically adding a GET variable to your link.

So instead of
http://www.mysite.org/index.php
you should have something like
http://www.mysite.org/index.php?name=Danny (you get the name from the variables sent from your flash movie of course)

Then, whenever a user clicks that link, PHP will have to extract that GET variable from the link and add it to the flash movie. A good way of doing this is by using FlashVars. This is made easy with something I use all the time and is called SWF Object by Deconcept. There's a lot of examples on that page.

So, once you added that name variable from the URL to your flash movie, you can access it and output it in a dynamic textfield.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]