FORUMS: list search recent posts

mailto: direction brings up a blank firefox screen

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terrence Dunlop
mailto: direction brings up a blank firefox screen
on Jun 14, 2008 at 12:11:53 am

Hey here's a quick one (I hope)...

I have a mailto: address for an "email us at" text box. When I test movie, a new firefox window opens, but my gmail acct. does not. Test movie doesn't seem to sense my preference for "mailto:" opening gmail for me. Is this because I'm testing the movie and mailto is dependent on individual browser prefs? or should it work?

I have a google maps link that works, so it's got me concerned.

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: mailto: direction brings up a blank firefox screen
on Jun 14, 2008 at 12:16:56 am

What code are you using? Also, you're just testing in the Flash IDE? Try exporting it first and testing it in your browser.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

Terrence Dunlop
on Jun 17, 2008 at 6:06:56 pm

Well, I used a dynamic text textbox and in the properties panel, in the link box, I entered "mailto:info@yadayada.com".

But while I have your coveted attention Pieter, can you point me at the code in AS3 that would return an email to our account (after a user had typed a subject, a message and their contact info into a stack of text boxes)? a tutorial online or a cookbook or even just the class to look at and schematic instructions?

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Jun 17, 2008 at 6:19:37 pm

Unfortunately, that's not possible in just flash. You will need any form of server-side scripting language (PHP, ASP, ...).

Have a quick look at this tutorial. It covers sending variables to PHP and then sending an e-mail via the PHP script.

Basically all you need are the URLRequest and URLVariables classes.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Jun 17, 2008 at 8:05:44 pm

Also... That dynamic textbox link -should- work. So if you haven't tried uploading it to a server yet, try that first. Or you can set your Adobe Settings Manager to always allow access (Settings Manager), but I don't advice it.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

Terrence Dunlop
on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:06:46 am

thanks so much Pieter, appreciate your time.

Return to posts index

Terrence Dunlop
on Jun 23, 2008 at 4:05:44 pm

Pieter,

I had a quick question and wondered if you could point me in the right direction. A client viewed the flash site I designed and wants to know if the flash movie can be modified to size itself and center itself to different size browser windows. My instincts say no, but I don't know everything. What's the best we can hope for? Decrease the dimensions of the document to fit "most" browser windows? Is there a "broadcast safe" doc size?

Thanks Pieter, any direction you can give would be much appreciated.

Terry

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Jun 23, 2008 at 4:15:04 pm

It is possible.

Here's an example.

Here's the .fla. The code for the resize is on the layer Actions:Stage.

Also, make sure to go to File > Publish Settings... > HTML and set the Dimensions to 'Percent' and below that set the width and height to 100%.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

Terrence Dunlop
on Jun 23, 2008 at 6:36:10 pm

Can a movie in a browser be resized with the browser window? or is it pretty much static in its dimensions?

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Jun 23, 2008 at 6:40:10 pm

How do you mean...

As in... content scaling? Yes, that's possible. But it's quite ugly. Stretched graphics don't look good.

What mine does is, keep the content the same size, but make sure it's always in the right place relative to the browser.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]