FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create Flash Table of Contents + quiz for seperate WMV/AVI video?

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip Roh
Create Flash Table of Contents + quiz for seperate WMV/AVI video?
on Jun 5, 2008 at 4:34:11 pm

Hello! Here's my pickle. I was originally producing a training video within a screencasting program. It had an impressive feature set, but limitations in export that do not meet my requirements. Thus, I am now looking to manually create something that fits my needs, but also includes some of the functionality concepts from that software.

I have a 30 minute training video, sized at 720 x 480 (also being delivered on DVD-video). It will be encoded at either WMV or AVI (likely WMV if it doesn't matter). I'd like to create a Flash-based table of contents that would allow the end user to jump to specific moments in the video. So within my HTML, there would be two seperate assets. The flash menu on the left, and the WMV on the right.

I would then like to implement a quiz-type functionality. I'd imagine it'd be a seperate button, possibly part of the flash menu. Upon clicking the button, a questionnaire would popup (overlaying both the menu and the video). It's be a mix of multiple choice and short answer questions. For multiple choice, I'd like to be able to give unique feedback for each individual incorrect answer. Upon completion of the questionnaire, an e-mail command would occur, auto creating a e-mail message within the enduser's e-mail program. This will only be shown to in-office employees so we all have the same e-mail program (e.g. responds to 'mailto:' commands).

Is this possible? I have Adobe Flash CS3 Professional and Adobe Flash CS3 Video Encoder. I know some very primitive Actionscript, last used Flash back in 5.0 :D.

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
Re: Create Flash Table of Contents + quiz for seperate WMV/AVI video?
on Jun 5, 2008 at 4:50:27 pm

Yes, this is all doable. But it'll be rather complicated for someone with little programming experience :)

Anyhoo, here's a few pointers:
(Re-)Encode your video to .flv. You can't play .avi or .wmv files in Flash. Add cuepoints to the video (via Flash Encoder) and then use Actionscript to navigate to the cuepoints.

Adding seek functionality with cue points

Mail links:

mail_btn.onRelease = function(){
getURL("mailto:myaddress@somecompany.com?subject=quiz&body=myanswers");
}

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

Phillip Roh
on Jun 5, 2008 at 4:59:45 pm

haha thanks Pieter. Unfortunately my video cannot be encoded into Flash due to Flash's 16,000 frame limitation. I'll take my time and start looking up on the scripting that I'll be needing t odo. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Pieter Helsen
on Jun 5, 2008 at 5:03:51 pm

That's actually not entirely true. .swf files have a 16000 frames limitation, .flv files do not. You should have no problem programmatically loading your .flv into your application.

Then again, I'm not really an expert when it comes to Flash Video.

Kind regards,
Pieter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]