FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jumpy flv video (locally), but only when encoded with audio.

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Trippe
Jumpy flv video (locally), but only when encoded with audio.
on May 30, 2008 at 9:38:18 pm

I have an issue when encoding flv video and playing it back through netstream in flash.

The video plays nice and smooth if I choose to encode it without any audio, but the video skips and chops when audio is encoded with the video. It looks almost like a really poor inverse-telecine conversion -- like frames are being duplicated and dropped.

I have tried different resolutions, bitrates(in both the audio and video), and frame rates, but nothing helps.

Here's the thing, though... Both versions (with and without audio) play flawlessly under VLC, so I suspect that it might have something to do with the player implementation in flash.

I am almost tempted to just split the audio and video into separate files and play them through the flash player that way, but it's an extremely messy way of doing things and I don't have any clue on keeping them synced if network hiccups occur.

If any of you have a solution to my problem, any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Adam Ashby
Re: Jumpy flv video (locally), but only when encoded with audio.
on Jun 1, 2008 at 8:42:19 pm

I don't think Flash is a very solid video player yet. I think the beta version of Flash Player 10 is said to utilize the end users CPU more for better performance. Also, I've seen through my own testing that FLV playback varies greatly depending on the users computer. Older macs seemed the worst. I tested on G4s, G5s, and Intel Macs with stock graphics cards and the G4s were horrible, the G5s ok, and the Intels near perfect. As far as PC's, anything newer, were great, but laptops a couple years old kinda stunk.

As, far as your issue, a few things:

1. I heard that some QTs that had different khz than the flv they were being compressed to had issues. This is grapevine info being passed along, so I dont know if its true or not. I've never had that problem.

2. You've probably already did this, but have you tried lessoning the keyframe intervals?

3. Is there anything else going on when the video is playing? A looping animation, even if its hidden, or anything else? I had an experience with an animation in the background looping while the video was playing. I had it stop when the video was playing and the playback greatly improved.

Adam Ashby
mutli-media artist
http://www.adamashby.com

Return to posts index

Charles Trippe
on Jun 3, 2008 at 7:54:51 pm

Thanks for your response.

My current machine is a dual quad-core 2.33 Xeon workstation with 8GB of RAM, so I doubt that the performance of my machine is an issue. However, like you said, the flash player doesn't use much of my processor during play. It may actually be starving itself.

1. The sample rate of my audio does match the source. I have tried it at many different sample rates, as well.

2. Yes, I have lengthened and shortened the intervals without effect.

3. The only thing going on in the player is the code necessary to get the video to play.

Return to posts index

Adam Ashby
on Jun 4, 2008 at 3:28:23 pm

Could be something in the way its coded. But sometimes figuring that out is more just trial and error.

Adam Ashby
mutli-media artist
http://www.adamashby.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]