FORUMS: list search recent posts

"failed to load flv" for h264 compressed video

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Cullen
"failed to load flv" for h264 compressed video
on May 26, 2008 at 8:27:13 am

Hey guys-

I have been compressing a web series through Compressor from FCP on my G5 Mac. I am trying to get the best looking video I can get so I have been using the H264 codec and then changed the name, after Compression, from m4p to flv. This changes the file but when I go into Flash and try and connect it to my Flash Skin via Component Inspector-Source I get this "failed to load flv" message. I am using Flash 9 so there should be no problems. Does this have something to do with it not actually being an flv file???

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Gabe C.

Return to posts index

Adam Ashby
Re: "failed to load flv" for h264 compressed video
on May 28, 2008 at 5:34:42 pm

I have yet to have any problems of video not loading, after changing extensions. Maybe its the m4p. I have always compressed to H.264 with the final havind a mov extension. then, changed it to flv.

Also, make sure the QT has fast start or hinted streaming enabled. It puts a certain node in the right place so the swf will play it right away instead of waiting for the whole thing to load. And, your Stand Alone or Debug Player your Flash app uses needs to be 9.0.115 or higher for you to be able to see it work in preview.

Adam Ashby
mutli-media artist
http://www.adamashby.com

fdcproductions.com

Return to posts index

Gabriel Cullen
on Jun 1, 2008 at 7:20:39 pm

Thanks for the response Adam but I am still having strange issues. I did a huge test to see if anything would work. I found that of all the tests I did the only QT movie with H264 Codec that would allow me to change the file into an actual FLV was if I enabled no streaming. On all the other other mov files using the H264 Codec, when I changed their file extension to flv they would remain Quicktime movies with flv extensions which won't load in Flash. The problem is I want my series to stream using fast start. But as I said above the fast start option isn't allowing me to change the file over to a flash file format. If you have any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Return to posts index

Adam Ashby
on Jun 1, 2008 at 8:10:24 pm

I know in the past I' had similar settings to, or used the Compressor 2 preset "Web Download (QuickTime 7 compatible)" for compression then changed mov to flv and it worked fine. Here are the specs:

Name: H.264 800Kbps
Description: H.264 for high-bandwidth connections
File Extension: mov
Audio Encoder
AAC, Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 480
Height: 360
Pixel aspect ratio: default
Crop: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls: Automatic
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 50
Min. Spatial quality: 50
Key frame interval: 150
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 50
Average data rate: 0.688 (Mbps)
Fast Start: on

As far as not being able to change the extension, I don't understand. I can can go to any file on my computer and change the extension to what ever i want. I know when changing an mov to an flv you get an "are you sure" prompt, but you just click "use flv" and thats that. i would check using Get Info to make sure "Hide extension" is unchecked, other wise you're just changing the name.

How are you loading the flv? Are you using FLVplayback or netStream? FLVplayback is what cares if its has an flv extension or not. netStream CAN play QT movies as is. What's your Action Script?

Also, have you tested your swf in a browser? Is your browser running Flash Player 9.0.115 or later? Is your Stand Alone Flash Player that your Flash app uses for preview 9.0.115 or later?

Adam Ashby
mutli-media artist

Return to posts index

Gabriel Cullen
on Jun 2, 2008 at 10:02:31 pm

I didn't really explain myself well. Here are the exact settings I am using in Compressor 3:

Name: 1000Kbps WEB COMPRESS
Description: H.264 for medium-bandwidth connections
File Extension: mov
Estimated file size: 938.44 KB
Audio Encoder
AAC, Mono, 48.000 kHz
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 480
Height: 360
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: 29.97
Frame Controls On:
Retiming: (Fast) Nearest Frame
Resize Filter: Linear Filter
Deinterlace Filter: Better (Motion Adaptive)
Adaptive Details: On
Antialias: 0
Detail Level: 0
Field Output: Progressive
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 50
Min. Spatial quality: 50
Key frame interval: 300
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 50
Average data rate: 1.024 (Mbps)
Fast Start: on

With these settings when I change the file extension from mov to flv it asks me if I really want to change it and I say yes and it does change it. The problem is the changing of the flv extension does not change the file into an actual FLV file that my Flash Program can read. I am using FLV Playback and not netstream because I don't know enough about netstream. I believe I am using the latest version of the Flash Player as I am using the newest CS3 package and recently did the adobe update. It's strange though because when I make my settings so that fast start is turned off, the file does change into an actual FLV file that my Flash program can read. But I need fast start to be on for streaming. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam Ashby
on Jun 3, 2008 at 1:26:27 am

Sorry, I can't see why it wont work, and actually, let me correct myself on something. If your Flash CS3 is up to date, you can leave it as an mov. FLVPlayback WILL play h.264 movs. I watched clip on the Adobe TV website that mentioned that. In your Component Inspector you change the file path to a mov file and works just fine.

Have you tested the flvs that do work on a server to see if they play correctly?

Adam Ashby
mutli-media artist

Return to posts index

Gabriel Cullen
on Jun 3, 2008 at 2:25:02 am

I figuered it out. I ended up having to change the program the file is to be opened up with to Flash. Then it changed the file to a flash file that would open in the Component Inspector. I don't know why Flash was struggling to recognize it otherwise because yeah I have read as well that mov and all flvs should be able to be connected via the component inspector but a failed to load message would always come up. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]