FORUMS: list search recent posts

noob coding question - public functions

COW Forums : Adobe Flash

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terrence Dunlop
noob coding question - public functions
on May 22, 2008 at 2:34:58 pm

I'm a noob.

I'm creating a flash site that calls gotoAndPlay and gotoAndStop functions pretty exclusively, using Flash to animate different screens.

As I advance, I'm trying to add transitions using code, specifically photo transitions of the TransitionManager class. Do I:

List the public function for start(params here):Transition in the first frame of the root timeline because then I can call it in all successive timelines? can I put all public functions here that I intend to call later? or is it better to put the functions in the timelines individually?

Return to posts index

Terrence Dunlop
Re: noob coding question - public functions
on May 30, 2008 at 4:42:06 pm

Okay - I posted this because I had created some nice movieclip tweens that faded-in the images and text on the informational pages of my site. I COULD NOT for the life of me figure out how to connect them to, or trigger them from the main timeline. I'm still working on it, but I found a great, very clear tutorial on it here:

basically, it's important to create a class out of your movie clips (the first tutorial shows how in step 3) and then simple actionscript on an actions layer can play them on the main timeline.

This was a big relief to me to finally figure out.

Although: after a clip plays, it's necessary to remove the clip from the display list, so that when the next button is pushed by the user, the movie doesn't sit there and block incoming content. This is done using removeChild() or removeChildAt():

Anyway check out Diane's tutorials. There's a lot of good info here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved